overclocking is it worth it

creation portal

Jun 3, 2013
over clocking a p c can make it faster and more reliable in the long run but is it worth the try ,, to that i say no
folks don't try it definitely not by yourself
if gone wrong it could distroy your pc beyond repair and a total loss

creation portal

Jun 3, 2013
agin my friends please don't do it yourself it's risky ,but in the unlikely situation that you are about to get rid of an old pc . try over clocking before that , it can work

Kallogan

Aug 2, 2010
It's more like a hobby to see what ur chip can take. But it does not worth it most of the time since you lose power efficiency as soon as u overclock.

It was fun in core 2 duo/ Clarkdale era cause u could push any entry level cpus to its limits, but not anymore.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
only time to even consider overclocking is when you already own the fastest part and it is still not fast enough.

-----

as for mild overclocking - it is harmless so feel free to tinker.

as for moderate overclocking: if you do not already own the fastest part, by the time you invest enough in cooling solution , might as well just buy the next faster part. if you already own the fastest part. do so with caution.

as for extreme overclocking - only when you already own the fastest part and demand every more performance. returns on performance is diminishing given the parts required for proper cooling n proper control.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Overclocking also voids warranty. Unless you buy the peformance tuning plan for Intel. Not sure if AMD got anything like it.

Only overclock if you can afford to lose it and your data. There is no such thing as harmless overclock. Its a risk vs reward game.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Sounds like someone had a bad experience with overclocking.

This is a Troll post - Post this stuff on an Enthusiast Forum?

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Why you pouting ? If you dont know how to do it, dont OC. If you know well and what BIOS settings then OC. Will you see a difference, nah you wont not on the desktop doing normal stuff. But if you benchmark you will see with your eyes the difference. From the score you get on benchmarks you will see how much more powerful it is OCed.

Yes there is heat, which is why they sell HSF and water for. gl

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Voting to delete this thread please

loosen up already. not like the OP is spamming. OP just givin fair warning due to his/her misfortune.

at least some of us been there done that and twice over. nothing like frying a brand spankin new i5 quad core and a hi end gigabyte mb on the same afternoon. :':)'(

live, learn and have fun. :biggrin:

DPOverLord

Golden Member
Dec 20, 1999
I have been there done that in terms of O/C but thats what makes a PC fun, you are thinking of upgrading, so you O/C, it's important to make sure you have right airflow, lapping, good cooling... Otherwise you are in for a treat. I still remember when I had a P5-75 and upgraded it to 90mhz. OH YEAH BABY!

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I can't say I have ever damaged a CPU or Motherboard while overclocking... Or lost or corrupted any data for that matter. Is this a common thing??

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Now you tell me! My 2500K has been running at 4.4Ghz for a year and a half. I hope it survives until I get home tonight to change those settings back.

Maybe I'll just buy a stock 4.4Ghz Intel chip. Which one do you recommend?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
overclocking without a partner is definitely not recommended if it can be avoided, invite a friend, and her friends too if she has some that are open-minded and adventuresome, njoy some libations, titillate that processor, make sure things are plenty sloppy with loads and loads of TIM (bonus points if your name happens to be Tim or Timothy ;)) and just have fun with an of-age enthusiast :) :D :p>-|-:eek:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Now you tell me! My 2500K has been running at 4.4Ghz for a year and a half. I hope it survives until I get home tonight to change those settings back.

Maybe I'll just buy a stock 4.4Ghz Intel chip. Which one do you recommend?

You better hurry!!! :eek:

computer-on-fire.jpg

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Overall for me I have no found a case where it is worth it. My 2500k was overclocked to 4.5 for the first while I had it, then got a new mobo and forgot to reset it. Notice zero difference in every aspect of computing.

Overclocking my 560ti 448 increased fps by what, 3 frames maybe? Did not make unplayable settings playable, and was not enough to smooth anything out that was giving me issues. It DID however increase heat, noise and bring on the occasional lockup.

So for my use and experience overclocking is nothing besides making yourself feel good for paying less for more. But I completely understand the enthusiast and tinkering aspect of it. Hell, writing this up makes me want to set my 2500k back to 4.5 :biggrin:

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
many overclocks for much performance bring p c to crashing no longer play pong

overclocks kill my dog too

makes me cri everytiem

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
overclocking without a partner is definitely not recommended if it can be avoided, invite a friend, and her friends too if she has some that are open-minded and adventuresome, njoy some libations, titillate that processor, make sure things are plenty sloppy with loads and loads of TIM (bonus points if your name happens to be Tim or Timothy ;)) and just have fun with an of-age enthusiast :) :D :p>-|-:eek:
You know you spent way too much time doing computer-related things in your life if you laugh at this sort of jokes :D

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
only time to even consider overclocking is when you already own the fastest part and it is still not fast enough.
The other time to consider overclocking is when you can pay less for a slower processor, and then overclock it to match or even exceed the speed of a more expensive processor.

Of course, these days, that only seems to work with AMD. :(

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I see it as worth it, overclocking my GPU got me 15 more fps.:eek: (it's a bandwidth limited hd 7770) and I've never overclocked my own CPU, but I've overclocked some old Athlon 2 x2s and got another year out of them for a friend. So, imo, yes.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
The fellow in blue was o/c

images

This is his friend :)
Girl_from_TRON_Wallpaper_JxHy.jpg

Last edited: