Overclocking i7-9700 - Trying to hit 5.0GHz - Help is needed

katulen

Apr 26, 2019
Hey guys.

I am currently attempting to overclock my i7-9700k.

Here is my current specs:
CPU:
Intel Core i7 9700K / 3.6 GHz
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72
MOBO: Asus Rog Strix Z390-F GAMING
GPU: Asus Rog Strix RTX2070 O8G GAMING 8GB GDDR6
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB: 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz DIMM
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S500BW 500GB - PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe) - M.2 Card
HDD: Toshiba P300 3.5´´ 2TB - 7200rpm 64MB SATA-600
PSU: Corsair RM750x
CASE: NZXT H series H700i Window Black

Attempt 4.9GHz:
Multiplier: 49
AVX Offset: -3
XMP: XMP 1 Enabled
MCE: Disabled
SVID Support: Disabled
BLCK Aware Adaptive Voltage: Disabled
CPU Core/Cache Voltage: 1.350

- Cinebench r15 - Passed.
- Realbench - Passed.
- Prime95 - Passed.
- Highest temps was 85c.

Attempt 5.0GHz:
Multiplier: 50
CPU Core/Cache Voltage: 1.360v
CPU Load-line Calibration: Level 6
CPU Current Capability: 170%
Long Duration Package Power Limit: 4095 (max)
Short Duration Package Power Limit: 4095 (max)
CPU Core/Cache Current Limit: 255.75 (max)

- Realbench - Passed.
- Prime95 - BSOD after 2 minutes.
Failed.

2nd attempt 5.0GHz:
CPU Core/Cache Voltage: 1.360v
CPU Load-line Calibration: Level 5 (Changed)
CPU Current Capability: 170%
Long Duration Package Power Limit: 4095 (max)
Short Duration Package Power Limit: 4095 (max)
CPU Core/Cache Current Limit: 255.75 (max)
Changes: Only changed LLC from Level 6 to Level 5.

- Realbench - Passed.
- Prime95 - Worker stopped after 3 minutes, no BSOD.
- XTU - Passed.

If you need some Min/Max/Avg screenshots of temps/voltages let me know, apparently cant paste them in this thread.

So a few questions here.
I've heard/read that if a worker stops in Prime95, it means your overclocking is unstable. Is it worth trying to let it finish and see what happens or pointless ?

Also i noticed when using XTU, that every 10 sec, 1 or more cores drop to 4.7GHz for a split second and go back to 5.0GHz. Is that due to AVX instructions coming into play or is it my cpu throttling? And how to fix it if needed.

Temps are fine, hitting max 82c on 1 core, rest high 70's.
VCORE is at 1.360v and droops to 1.332v and never go over 1.360v.

Thanks in advance, and sorry on my rookie questions & mistakes.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
XTU is kinda light and not worth using imo. You need to add vcore and/or increase LLC to near the highest level. Best to try to shoot for 1:1 Vcore set in bios to Vcore measured under load.

You can use a non-avx stress if you don't run any AVX programs.

katulen

Apr 26, 2019
Best to try to shoot for 1:1 Vcore set in bios to Vcore measured under load.

Well HWiNFO shows loads between 1.332-1.360v with LLC 5.

It seemed somewhat stable my latest attempt, however just tryid using OCCT Linpack (Without AVX). Was running for 2minuttes, and then my system "crashed". Or at least it was hanging so much i couldn't do anything except Power Shut it.

I really dont know what my next step should be. I really need some advice here. Wether i can go and try and add more vcore or change LLC or what.
Hope someone can help me :)

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Increase LLC and/or vcore until you get stability. 0.10 increments. OCCT linpack w/o AVX is a solid choice.

katulen

Apr 26, 2019
Increase LLC and/or vcore until you get stability. 0.10 increments. OCCT linpack w/o AVX is a solid choice.

When you say increase LLC you mean go from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7 (max) right?

And what would you say my max vcore should be? How High Can i go without risking anything.
Also i gotta make sure my vdroops isnt to big when increasing vcore right? With LLC.

I have a stable overclocking atm on:
4.9ghz
LLC auto
1.350v (under load, it bumps between 1.359-1.376v)
It passes prime95 & occt linpack min avx.
Max temp is 85 on 2 vores rest on 80ish.

But really wanna see if i Can push it to 5.0ghz

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
I'd stop at 1.4 but you can go 1.45-1.5 the problem is typically hitting the heat limit (90C) before you can go that high. If 7 is max LLC I'd go for 6.

katulen

Apr 26, 2019
I'd stop at 1.4 but you can go 1.45-1.5 the problem is typically hitting the heat limit (90C) before you can go that high. If 7 is max LLC I'd go for 6.

Okay.

I usually test Cinebench r15, if it pass i try Prime95.

I just tryid following:
1.375v vcore fixed, LLC 4. Vdroop to 1.305v and BSOD in Prime 95.
1.375v vcore fixed, LLC 5. Vdroop to 1.350v and BSOD in Prime 95.
1.375v vcore fixed, LLC 7. Vboost to 1.421v and BSOD in Cinebench r15. (No vdroop - Probably overshooted the voltages with Level 7 i assume)

I tryid LLC 6 together with 1.360v without success.

Im trying with LLC 6 now with a higher vcore voltage.
Settings:
CPU Core/Cache Voltage: 1.380v
CPU Load-line Calibration: Level 6
I removed all the other stuff i added earlier. (See above).

katulen

Apr 26, 2019
Yep 6 looks like a winner. Keep it there and slowly step the voltage up until you reach stability!

Im currently doing OCCT Linpack non avx.
1.380v But vboost to 1.403v.
Temp max so far is 94celcius.
No vdroop so far. Only vboost.

It days distance to tjmax 6c.
Is this to hot ?

Edit: ok after 13 mins of OCCT i get BSOD. So wasnt stable.
I dont know what to try next tbh.
Is there ANYTHING I am missing and have to change or have i done everything right But my chip just dont want to go 5.0ghz?

Last edited:

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Sorry might be a bridge too far. :( See if you can get 4.9 stable with LLC 6 and less voltage. Typically you want to approach this from one of two directions.
A) Start from highest tolerable Vcore and step it down until you achieve instability.
B) Start from lower Vcore like 1.25 and establish a base from which to move from.

Typically I like to do B, start at 1.25 and see if 4.7 all core is stable, move the multiplier up to 48 and see if it is still. If it isn't then you start bumping it up until it is. Rinse & repeat. The other key is you only want to change one variable if possible. You don't want to go moving LLC around and Vcore at the same time, or attempting memory OCs simultaneously.

katulen

Apr 26, 2019
Yeah i know :( However, i am really a rookie when it comes to CPU overclocking, and therefor im not 100% certain im doing this correctly, and if/or i need to dial on some more options to make 5.0ghz happen. That is what frustrates me a bit to be honest. Havei done everything correct, and nothing more i can do, and my chip lost the silicon lottery, then i can peace with it - But when im uncertain if i have done everything i possible can, and also done it correctly, then it annoys me :D

To respond to A): I found 1.385 (vboost to 1.403) to high for my liking. Highest temp was 94c, so there was still some room, but it was to close to the 100c's.

Hopefully i get an answer sooner or later regards to my effort towards archieveing 5.0ghz, if i have more stuff to work on or not.

EDIT:

So i messed around with my 5.0GHz profile yesterday, and seem to be stable now.

5.0GHz
XMP I - Enabled
MCE - Auto
AVX - Auto
LLC - Level 5
SVID Support - Disabled
CPU Core Voltages: 1.385v

Intel Burn Test - Passed several times
Prime95 v26.6 (1344-1344 FFT) - 1 hour passed
Realbench - 8 hours passed.

Question is now,
how do i get this to work with adaptive voltages, so i can have lower voltages when idling?
So if I want to change from fixed voltages to adaptive voltages to get the benefit of that, how do I get around that correctly ? Do I just put in 1.385v as Adaptive Voltage or do I also add some sort of +/- offset as well?
Do i change IA DC load lines set to 0.01 ?

Last edited:

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I would not be running in the 90's personally - even for stress testing. May need to be happy with 4.9. Also the VRMs run hot on the ASUS boards and it would be good to know what the VRM temps are doing. Also, it's been a while since I last went through the ASUS BIOS options, but doesn't setting MCE to auto override your manual settings? That may be why you are stable, but may not be getting your 5.0. Don't quote me on that.

katulen

Apr 26, 2019
I would not be running in the 90's personally - even for stress testing. May need to be happy with 4.9. Also the VRMs run hot on the ASUS boards and it would be good to know what the VRM temps are doing. Also, it's been a while since I last went through the ASUS BIOS options, but doesn't setting MCE to auto override your manual settings? That may be why you are stable, but may not be getting your 5.0. Don't quote me on that.
Thanks for your reply.

I got my 5.0GHz stable and also managed to decrease my voltages a bit.

5.0GHz settings (w/ adaptive voltages)
Multiplier:
XMP: Enabled
AVX: 0
MCE: Auto
SVID Support: Auto
SVID Behavior: Best Case Scenario
AC/DC Load Line: 0.01 / 0.01
Load Line Calibration: Level 5
Adaptive Voltage: 1.350v (1.332v @ load)
Voltage Offset: -0.018v
VCCIO: 1.150v
VCCSA: 1.150v
Max temp: 82c
Stresstest: Realbench 8hr, Prime95 v26.6 2hr, OCCT 1hr.

Regards to MCE on Auto - It maxes out power and current limits, so i don't have to do it manually.
For the sake of it, I did test it myself, and it works as suppose to :)

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Just make sure that it is not overriding your current limits or you may just be stable because you are throttling. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility will tell you. I had that happen to me for a while and only noticed because speeds were intermittently dropping under load and I otherwise though I was stable, but it was because of throttling.

katulen

Apr 26, 2019
Well i am certain that it doesn't.
And i am not throttling in any ways, shape or form. It is running constantly at 5.0GHz under load.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Yours is an interesting comment about MCE at auto having some effect. I run the 9900k on the Asus Prime z390. MCE on auto has no effect on vcore and cpu package, exactly like "Disabled". Only "Enabled" runs it;
on auto / disabled (idle usage)

Vcore .6-.7 v
Cpu package 8-9w

With MCE set to enabled
Vcore1.32v
Cpu package 29w.

Last edited:

katulen

Apr 26, 2019
Yours is an interesting comment about MCE at auto having some effect. I run the 9900k on the Asus Prime z390. MCE on auto has no effect on vcore and cpu package, exactly like "Disabled". Only "Enabled" runs it;
on auto / disabled (idle usage)

Vcore .6-.7 v
Cpu package 8-9w

With MCE set to enabled
Vcore1.32v
Cpu package 29w.
When you have MCE Auto, it should adjust power limits etc when you change your multiplier.
MCE Enabled does it without you need to change multiplier.

ratdago

Nov 11, 2019
Wondering how u ended up. Recently finished my rig, similar specs. 9700k, Asus Max Hero XI, Cor Veng 3000mhz RGB ram. If you notice your RAM is capable of XMP 2. When you set that in Bios your system will run great! Enable OC, and set cores to sync, 50x and you're gtg. Many other functions to play with also but just by doing those few simple steps you will have a great, fast, stable system without getting too complexcomplexicatedicated.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
OP, that sounds pretty toasty lol. Your cooling is at the level of a DH15, so you really shouldn't see temps quite so high. But that's the IHS lottery in effect most likely.

You can get a delid kit pretty cheap, and re-tim and copper top it. Or Silicon Lottery has the service for $39. Either way, typical results even on good examples can be pretty dramatic, yours looks like one of the less ideal ones, so the difference is probably due to be even greater than average. CLR has sTim, and it seems to be even more hit and miss than the TIM that previous gens used. Better when well made from the factory, worse when not ideal, and a bit tougher to work with.

Anyway, you might see 8-10C drops @ 5Ghz, and be able to lower the voltage as well. Giving you headroom for potentially 5.1+ or just enjoying the lower temps and power use.