overclocking i7 860 with asus O.C. tuner turbo profile

nix253

Jan 14, 2010
alright i'll come straightforward with my question....

i think i'm going to OC my core i7 860 cpu regardless of the RAM and graphics card( although i know it's going to change the clock speed of RAM and maybe gfx card too but watever...) with asus p7p55d's OC tuner turbo profile facility since i don't have much knowledge on details of OC.

all i need to know is what cooling solutions should i use while using the OC tuner turbo profile?

also it'd be nice to know what results am i gonna get? i mean will CPU atleast going to hit about 3.5 ghz or something........

nix253

Jan 14, 2010
can someone pls reply??...it's not like we amateurs want to bother experts for nothing.....

nomagic

Dec 28, 2005
I've never used anything like OC tuner turbo. In fact, I recommend against any kind of dummy method. Overclocking does not require much, if any, hardware background. There are plenty OC guides for i7 on the web. With some patience, you can easily achieve satisfactory results.

From what I've read, i7 CPUs are in general good overclockers, so hitting 3.5 GHz on air shouldn't be an issue.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have the P7P55D EVO which has an automatic overclocking utility. It went past 3.5ghz with the i7-860 but I had to stop it because the Intel stock cooler wasn't getting the job done (it was up to 90C).

So I bought a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus cooler which totally solved the heat problem, let it auto-overclock to 3.4Ghz and stopped it there. System has been completely stable at 3.4Ghz. Could it go higher? Probably, but I prefer a stable system at a moderate overclock.

I'm very satisfied with my cooler but there are plenty of other choices which perform well. I just didn't see a need to spend more than $30 for a moderate overclock.