Overclocking Help Please???

CodeGunnerDev

Sep 27, 2014
Hi All!
Well in the next few days I'll be the new owner of a MSI GT72 Dominator Pro 208 gaming laptop(I'm just waiting for it to ship). I've been combing through the various forums and am still confused about a few things concerning overclocking the CPU and/or the GPU. I admit it's been a long time since I've dealt with the ideas of overclocking. I know that the basic idea of overclocking is still the same today as they were back then of increasing clock speeds and/or the multiplier in increments until the system becomes unstable and then backing them back down to a point to where it is stable again. My questions are as follows:

1) What do I need to achieve the overclocking of my cpu/gpu as far as software goes?
2) What steps do I need to take to achieve this?

The specs of my laptop are as follows:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4710/4720 Quad core processor(not sure which one will be in the machine I've read differing accounts to where they were now shipping with the 20 instead of the 10.
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX980m 8GB GDDR5
RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600L
SSD:4X128GB M.2 SATA III in RAID 0(512GB Capacity)
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM
ODD: Blu-ray Burner
Display: 1920x1080p LCD 17.3" either TN or IPS Panel(depends on the CPU it ships with)

Any and all assistance you all can offer me will be greatly appreciated!
CGD

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Don't overclock a laptop CPU just to eke a little bit more out of games.

That would be my advice.

The CPU isn't that important for gaming anyway.

CodeGunnerDev

Sep 27, 2014
Don't overclock a laptop CPU just to eke a little bit more out of games.

That would be my advice.

The CPU isn't that important for gaming anyway.

I'm not going to be using this for gaming at all. I'm getting this from a company as payment for the website and mobile app I made them. I'm going to use this for personal use as well as vms. I had the choice of this PC or an Asus rog laptop and my track record with the Asus rog machines are horrible. I don't know what my friends see in the Asus machines but they're constantly asking me to fix them for them.