Overclocking Asus 7850

sbaradaran

Mar 19, 2012
Hi All,

Just built a new gaming/all purpose system and I've been trying to max out the performance of all my components.

I have been very pleased with the Asus 7850 thus far. Temperatures are super low even at load. It never goes above 60C in my Corsair 400R case.

Overclocking the Asus 7850

Using Asus GPU Tweak the highest stable overclock i can achieve is the following:

• Core: 1075 (860 stock)
  • Mem: 5700 (4840 stock)

I believe i can achieve higher clocks on both core and memory because GPU tweak limits my voltage to 1.165v

The review below of an Asus 7850 has them using GPU Tweak to achieve higher overclocks. They are able to set the voltage up to 1.3v. I have the latest version.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-hd7850-directcu-ii-top-review/15243.html

Does anyone know how I can apply more voltage to the card?

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Call me superficial, but I would not consider any card where the designer was so lazy as to not change the cooling so that the fans overhang the card by a lot. Who knows what other corners they cut? I might consider the 7870 though.

sbaradaran

Mar 19, 2012
Call me superficial, but I would not consider any card where the designer was so lazy as to not change the cooling so that the fans overhang the card by a lot. Who knows what other corners they cut? I might consider the 7870 though.

I thought the same thing too when I bought it. I nearly went with the sapphire. Although it is lazy to just throw on a cooler designed for a longer card, the cooling is so effective that I could care less. I still have almost 4 inches of space before the card touches the hard drive bays.

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Card length is why I went with the MSI. Great cooling without having to add extra length to the overall card. What is the point of a 10.5in 7850? Kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Going from 1.165 V to 1.3 V isn't going to be possible on air cooling I guess, at least not with the stock cooler. And even if you manage to maintain sub 70C temps somehow, it is too high a difference in volts from stock for it to last 3-4 years. Don't up the volts too much. And with the 7xxx series it is preferred to stay below 70C with full load and if possible even lower.

And what are you using to stress?

With Crysis 1 my temps stay in the 50s. With Crysis 2 in the lower 60s. With Alan Wake mid 60s. But with OCCT mid 70s.

I am on a 7970 overclocked by the way.