Overclocking an XP...I'm a noob

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
I know that in order to correctly overclock an Athlon XP processor, you have to unlock it. I've been messing around with my second computer which has the 1700+ running at 1.47ghz. I have the Epox 8KHA+ which allows me to push the FSB in increments of 1mhz. I've successfully got that to 1.8ghz without any problems. How can I do this if I haven't unlocked the processor? I Know I'm pushing the RAM and the AGP and PCI slots, but what difference does unlocking do?

I'm sorry, I'm new at overclocking and I'm sure this is a repost from 4 years ago, but if anyone has a site that explains all of this that would be great.

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
By unlocking, that means you will have the liberty to adjust the multiplier that you want when you're overclocking. You have a Xp1700 which has a 11X multiplier. That's how your CPu get the stock speed of 11 x 133 = 1466Mhz.

You would not have to oc the FSB much if you have a unlocked CPU where you can adjust the multiplier and FSB to your liking. Without unlocking, you'll be overclocking with the use of the FSb which you're doing right now.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
the speed of the cpu is determined by the clock multiplier (a fixed number) multiplied by the fsb which is the frequency that the memory is running at when you run it asyncronous to the fsb
the fsb connects the cpu to the northbridge and thus the rest of the system

some motherboards let you change the clock mult others don't
if yur motherboard don't allow it then you have to unlock the cpu
else yur just stuck with fsb overclocking (which is the better of the two cause it not only increases cpu mhz but also memory mhz)

hope this helped

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
wait....so if my Mobo lets me adjust the multiplier, then I don't have to unlock it? I know it does...so should I just go up one? or will it not work since I didn't unlock it...

still a little confused...

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: IBdaMac
wait....so if my Mobo lets me adjust the multiplier, then I don't have to unlock it? I know it does...so should I just go up one? or will it not work since I didn't unlock it...

still a little confused...

You have to unlock the CPU before adjusting the multiplier through your mobo's DIp switches or BIOS. Failing to do so would often require a mobo reset.

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: IBdaMac
so basically there's no way to get around unlocking the CPU?

Don't quite get the question but if I read it correctly, yeah, there's noway you can get around the CPU's multiplier unless you unlock it or you mod the bridges on the CPU to give you the specific multiplier you want.

Do a search on "unlock" and you'll find many interesting and dense posts.

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
Well...my mobo allows me to increase the multiplier as well as the FSB with no problems... I now am able to get it up to 2.0ghz without unlocking it...is the only thing that unlocking it does is allow you to change the multiplier? It seems like I don't even have to unlock it...

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
if yhour board allows you to change the mults then you're right... you don't have to unlock it...

seems like this is the case... that it's unlocked by your board...

some boards don't allow you to adjust the mult so you have to physically mod the chip in order to change mults..

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Shimmishim
if yhour board allows you to change the mults then you're right... you don't have to unlock it...

seems like this is the case... that it's unlocked by your board...

some boards don't allow you to adjust the mult so you have to physically mod the chip in order to change mults..

i agree just give it a try
just raise it .5 or something to see if it works

IBdaMac

Jan 12, 2003
well it definitely worked. I'm running the 1.47ghz proc at 2.0 and it's runnin like a champ. My motherboard automaticall drops the ram down to 1600 and starts overclocking that at a certain point so it doesn't fry the ram. I thought that was pretty cool.