Overclocking AMD and low power mode

fuzzymath10

Feb 17, 2010
When I overclock my AMD cards, they lose the ability to idle at low frequencies. Why is this the case? Is there some way to raise the ceiling without bringing the floor up with it?

I've brought up my 5750 to 850/1265 from 700/1150, but now it won't drop to 157/300 anymore so it idles a bit warmer.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Use the latest drivers and what Utility are you using to overclock the card? This can also be something caused by a bug in the vid cards' BIOS that does not accommodate for low power down clocking at higher than stock frequencies.

Steps to take:
1. Use latest drivers
2. Test to see if it experiences the same problems when you overlclock with a different utility.
3. Verify this with GPU-Z logs
4. Check to see if your manufacturer offers an updated BIOS.

Also be aware downclocking can be problematic when your card is connected to more than one monitor.

Last edited:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I also recommend trying a different utility. Also, test a stable overclock and then flash it to the BIOS and you won't have to worry at all.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Use MSI's Afterburner program and create two profiles, one for your overclocked gaming settings, the other for your low frequency idle settings.

Then setup afterburner with 2D/3D profiles assigned to the profiles you created.

fuzzymath10

Feb 17, 2010
I'm just using CCC's overdrive utility for now. Is MSI's afterburner universal? How about the BIOS flashing (I'm comfortable with flashing most things if it's possible)?

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
ATI Tray Tools allows for 2D/3D profiles. Only downside is that I can't seem to use voltages other than the default for 2D and 3D clocks and a couple pre-defined voltage settings in between.