overclocking a q6600

deamer44

May 25, 2008
hello, ive tried many voltages when overclocking my cpu (up too 1.35) and for some odd reason sometimes it just completely turns off. Not a BSOD just turns off, im wondering what could cause this and if there are any fixes. the cpu temperatures are mid 40's and i currently have a 650 watt ocz power supply.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Sounds like a power supply problem to me. Do you have another PS you can try? What kind of voltages are you getting as shown in Speedfan or some program like it.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I'm pretty sure 1.35 is the stock voltage for a Q6600 - 1.25 to 1.35 is where the mobo will vary if you have SpeedStep/C1 on. If you're OCing you're safe to go to 1.4 if you have something better than an air cooler.

That said, it should be stable at stock @ 1.35V. Like whatshisname said above, check voltages with speedfan and CPU-Z.

deamer44

May 25, 2008
ive tried it with another power supply (460 watt when i had my 3850) same thing happened. and im talking about 1.35 volts in bios. and in coretemp im getting 1.35 vid. I donno what i should do.
I must clarify, im trying to overclock at stock it doesnt turn off.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
So what happens when it turns off? Is it shutting gown at idle or under load? If the problem is under load how long can it be loaded before it shuts down? Immediately, 10 minutes, etc.. What bios are you running on your motherboard?

I would have thought for sure it would be power supply so I don't really know what's going on. In this case you could do what I'd usually do which is try everything. Disconnect all your drives except your OS drive. Remove all but 1 stick of ram. Take your 260gtx back down to stock speeds (if it's overclocked). Just start trying shit :p But definitely check your voltages.

Btw, there are a lot of good threads over at xtreme systems about q6600 overlocking. I'd search through them to get an idea of what bios settings you should be using.

diximage

Nov 9, 2008
it looks like one of your DDR2 stick has problem. try to remove one and see if it's going to work. I also experienced a problem with my pair of OCZ and i have it replaced because i couldn't overclock with it.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Make sure you have your ram set to 1:1 and get it out of the OC equation. Set it to 5-5-5-15 to loosen it up and then try your OC. You should be setting your voltages manually rather than "auto" settings if not doing so already....

deamer44

May 25, 2008
I don't know if this matters, but i was overclocking with the ram "unlinked"
should i try a memory test on each stick of ram?

deamer44

May 25, 2008
+ ive already ran a memtest and it passed. Has anyone got any suggestions, would it be the north bridge or south bridge is overheating?

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
what are the NB and SB temps? on my 750i currently i have my CPU Q6600 at 1.30 stock volt 3.0ghz and i had to up the NB and SB volts by .5 because i was having stability problems. its been fine for 5 weeks now at these settings.

also i left my ram at stock speeds and Unlinked.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: deamer44
Um, how can i tell what my north/south bridge temperatures are??

North bridge temps are usually labeled as "System" on all temp monitoring programs I've seen. I have no idea for the SB but the NB is the important temp so I wouldn't worry about it.