overclocking 970gtx

hunkeelin

Feb 14, 2012
Question 1:
I am following the guide in this website: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...70_gaming_4g_video_card_review/8#.VG1pv4vF8lQ

I have afterburner installed. My rig is 970 gtx sli. Why my power limit can only go to 106% max? In the website he can get up to 110% is there an explanation?

Question 2:
I am assuming all the gtx 970 models are the same gigtabyte, evga, zotac etc... of all the brands, zotac's version have the lowest core clock. In the website, the user is using gigabyte's gtx 970 which have a core clock of 1178mhz. He does + 140mhz in afterburner resulting in a 1318mhz. For my zotac, if I do the same setting I will only get to 1216mhz. So instead of +100mhz I should + 200mhz instead? I'm confuse, does it mean the gigyabte's card have more "power and potential" or I just need to do + 200mhz instead of +100mhz

Question 3:
So when i change the coreclock in afterburner, the changes do show in gpuz's "graphics card" tab, however in the sensor tab my gpu core clock stays at default no matter how much stress i'm putting on it. It's always reads as 1076.4ghz. I was expecting to be 1301mhz. Why?

Thanks

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
The answer is pretty simple:

(1) You have two unmatched cards - the 106% power limit will apply to both your Zotac and MSI, even if the MSI could go higher on its own.

(2) Use MSI Afterburner's option to sync similar cards in SLI so that all overclock settings are made to both cards. They will then default to the lower speed card, which is the Zotac with a 40MHz overclock. Not all cards can overclock to the same limit. You will be limited by the Zotac. It does not have the same potential as the MSI for various reasons.

(3) To monitor speed in games, just use MSI Afterburner's on-screen display. Don't use GPU-z also, it will just confuse you.

netxzero64

May 16, 2009
I just figured out that different 970s have different tdp limits that can be set. I can set mine at 110% and I use GPUz while checking the core clock speed and boost speed while upping on the MSI AB.