Overclocked cpu will run 3DMark, Quake 3, and Prime95 fine for hours but is inconsistent with the RC5 client.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I want to call it stable, but every now and again the RC5 client locks up. Sometimes right after I start it, other times it'll be fine for a few hours. I suppose it has to be the cpu, but why is everything else working fine? I've tried upping the voltage and everything and it still occasionally locks up. I've posted in the distributed computing forum and they say that the client almost never locks up. Argh. ;)

Klosters

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
While my box is currently just a tad OC unstable, it bothers the CRAP out of me. I feel your pain. Maybe you need better(ka-ching!) case and or CPU cooling. Why not be content with three quarters of a loaf? If your machine will run QIII's Timedemo looped, with the at- home version of Prime 95 chugging along in the background at the same time, overnight without a crash, bruddah it's stable.

BTW, wasn't RC5 already cracked? Maybe SETI @home would be more of an altruistic donation to the cause?

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Argh, it still bugs me that something doesn't work. I had it at 818, and everything was fine except for RC5. I have adequate cooling. My case temp is only 2 degrees higher than ambient (68 degrees) temperature. The cpu was at ~105. That's no biggie for an Athlon. I suppose I could always blame it on Windoze... ;)

Hard_Boiled

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was having some minor instability problems overclocking my celeron 2, after running Prime95 for days I might get a crash in Quake3 or whatnot, and it had trouble running DivX movies and Prime95 at the same time. So I bought a peltier setup! Problem solved, any type of crashing disappeared, although I couldn't really run the cpu that much faster. I was running 935 before, now I run it at 952. 17 extra mhz, but I didn't buy it for that. I bought it to reduce my temps and fix the occasional crash, and it did.

I bought a pre-built peltier setup because I'm lazy and didn't want to order an alpha heatsink and the pelrier, just to put it all together and probably f#ck it up.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Yeah, those are nice... but did you see the price? I could spend a little bit more and just get a faster processor. ;)