Overclocked Burner Woes

absolutelooser

Jul 4, 2000
Gentlefolk!
I have a abit bx6-2 with a celery400, 128mb PC100 ram, voodoo3-2000AGP 10GB Westerndig HDD, Toshiba DVD, and Smart&Unfriendly IDE 4*2*32 Burner.
The HDD&DVD are on IDE0 and the Burner is on IDE1
DMA is enabled on all.
Operating System is Windows98 (not 2nd edition).
All works perfectly at 400mhz however if I run at 75mhz FSB (450mhz) the Burner craps out and locks up totally in the middle of a burn.:mad:
Only a total powerdown brings it back to life.
I experience no problems with the rest of the components.
Advice would be greatly appreciated

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Few things...

First off, you are sure your CPU isn't crashing, right? A total system lock sounds more like a CPU lockup, rather than a burner specific problem.

Second, have you tried disabling DMA for the burner? Most burners specify not to use DMA.

Finally, given that everything else is running fine, your burner might not like your PCI bus speed. At 75 MHz, your PCI bus will probably default to a multiplier of 1/2, resulting in a PCI bus speed of 37.5. Spec'd at 33 MHz, many devices simply won't handle the ~14% overclock to 37.5. Try reducing the multiplier to 1/3. Granted, this will run your PCI bus under spec, but you have a better chance of burning successfully if your burner is sensitive to PCI bus speeds.

Good luck...

Viper GTS

absolutelooser

Jul 4, 2000
Hi Mr Viper....
Only the Burner is locking up, I can kill the Burner program and do anything I want on the computer but the Burner remains inaccessible.

I will try as you suggested and 1st disable DMA on the Burner, if this fails I will drop the PCI bus speed and see if that helps.
I guess I will have a nice collection of frizbies to play with till I get this sorted out :-(

Cheers & 10x...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Quick suggestion...If you're worried about the coasters, try CDRW discs...At least that way you can re-format them once you've got this sorted out.

Keep us posted. Chances are I'll be back in bed before too long, but I'm sure others will have suggestions too...

Viper GTS