Overclock INtel QUAD Q6600 with ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

zcpu

Mar 20, 2007
I would like to overclock my Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4GHz to highest possible.

i have this Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Corsair 2GB Ram Dominator
Raptor 74 GB 10.000 RPM
Nvidia BFG Gforce 7950 GT OC

I would like some information how to overclock,my MOBO come with the automatic OVerclock which i could use. but it only can overclock 30% what if i need more. so how to setup manual?

If anyone had done it before please advise me. What i need like what should i put on the voltage. or CPU or??

thanks

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
What voltage you will need to use on anything will depend on how high of an overclock you'll be doing. Also, realize that you'll have to replace the factory heatsink before being able to overclock very far at all.

GFORCE100

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: zcpu
I would like to overclock my Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4GHz to highest possible.

Raptor 74 GB 10.000 RPM

I would like some information how to overclock,my MOBO come with the automatic OVerclock which i could use. but it only can overclock 30% what if i need more. so how to setup manual?

If anyone had done it before please advise me. What i need like what should i put on the voltage. or CPU or??

thanks

Set it to manual and then 333MHz for FSB and whatever your memory can handle. You can keep Vcore at auto as well as all others. You can manually lock PCI to 33.3MHz and PCI Express to 100.

After that save and reboot, you should be just fine at 3GHz. Watch your temperature using Everest, CoreTemp or Asus PC Probe 1.04.

Run 4x Prime95 to test it's indeed stable and see how hot it runs, keep it below 70C.

r3zon8

May 7, 2007
I am also about to embark on the Q6600 overclocking build with an Asus P5W-DH.

Now, many posts ive read say this motherboard has problems with anything over 333 when running a Kentsfield? is this true? any of you out there over 333 with a kentsfield?
what are you vcore, mch volt, fsb volt settings?

GFORCE100

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: r3zon8
I am also about to embark on the Q6600 overclocking build with an Asus P5W-DH.

Now, many posts ive read say this motherboard has problems with anything over 333 when running a Kentsfield? is this true? any of you out there over 333 with a kentsfield?
what are you vcore, mch volt, fsb volt settings?

Well with the 2004 BIOS I was able to test it at about 368MHz FSB I believe and it booted into Windows, before with earlier BIOS's it just wouldn't post around the 348MHz FSB mark I believe.

I'm not sure whether it's a BIOS or motherboard electrical issue.

This is on a 68xxxxxx revision motherboard, not sure what the latest revision is but I'm sure there's something newer as my board was bough in October 2006 and probably produced in September 2006 as it came with BIOS 1101 as standard.

The strange thing is that this board overclocks fine over 400MHz FSB with dual core Conroes but seems to have problems with the Kentsfields.

Maybe all it needs is a FSB vold vdroop pencil mod.

I've left my QX6700 at 9x333 for now with 1066memory but maybe 9x366 would be possible. I need to do more testing but before I do that I need to buy a new monitor.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
if you have a board with 1.85v on the NB it will help.

Otherwise GTL Referenced mod helps a bit. You just arn't going to get that high with quadcore on 975x though.

Try P35 or 965p.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: zcpu

Raptor 74 GB 10.000 RPM

thanks

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD LUCK.

1. you failed to mention what kind of heat sink your using.
2. These guys are very very very limited due to the amount of heat it puts out. And NO im not exagerating at this statement. ASK ANY QUAD owner, they will tell you the thing is a serious BITCH to cool down.
3. No Chips are ever = No one can promise you any overclock, nor can i tell you what the max is. You failed to mention PSU and Cooling. And those are VERY VERY important when overclocking.

AND YES i own a quad. And YES its a serious pain to cool expecially today where my ambietns are climbing past 85F.

IF this is your first time overclocking. DONT GET A QUAD. Dont bother looking at quads, you'll only be very disapointed unless you know what your getting into.

If your heart is set on overclocking a fast quad, RECALCULATE your budget so you can add about a 300-400 dollar h2o cooling setup. NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS.

on a estimate: i would say only 5-10% of the worlds quads are clocked higher then 3.4ghz on AIR For 24/7 usage.

And from their, unless the quad is running stock, only 2% of the quads, NOT ENTERPRISE, but general users, are running the stock heat sink.

Only AIR HSF you should look at to get acceptable temps from that quad:

Thermalright IFX-14
Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme
Thermalright ultra 120 regular
Tuniq Tower
Cool MAster Gemini

Dont get any other cooler then the ones ive listed. The Q6600 @ 1.4V+ will rape ALL AIR HEAT SINKS. Your pushing about 210W of heat on the DIE at that voltage. WEEEE have fun cooling that off. :D

My current settings right now on my QUAD for 24/7 usage. And my cores are loaded at 100% though bionic. its like F@H.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/X3220.jpg

My monster cooling setup required to get those temps:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0574.jpg

She'll do 3.6 @ 1.57v in bios. My temps with my cooling climbs high 60's to low 70's.

NO thanks. i'll keep my 225mhz slower clock speed for the 10C cooler running temps. She's on 24/7 nonstop with 1 reboot each week to keep her fresh. She crunchs all day in hopes there will be a bigger cure to womans breast cancer and the cure for aids. :]

NOTE: my cooling setup most likely runs around 500-600. My new one in creation will cost even more, but i think i will be able to pull that quad @ 3.6ghz with under 60 after completion.

r3zon8

May 7, 2007
Youre right, let me rephrase my initial post and give some more details...this is a new build btw, so any suggestions on parts that i sould consider right now would be a HUGE help.

Q6600, 06F7, B3 Stepping
P5W-DH Deluxe, 2004 bios
Coolit Freezone TEC cooler
Solytech 600W PSU

Like a previous poster mentioned, i used to have an E6400 on this board and was stable at 400x8. This board/mem should have no problem hitting these speeds, but then again...maybe the heat is the issue as aigomorla stated.

I can post and keep stable in windows at up to 333x9. Making my temps around 50 idle, and high 60s load. ive read this CPU should not be run over 70c. i normally run 4xprime95, superpimod to stress the cpu. Ill have to get back to you on what my Volts are to hit this speed, i dont remember off the top of my head. Ive also got a e6700 setup on the bench for a buddy and ive got all of his numbers in my head.

3.2ghz is my goal for this processor. Think thats plenty power without going overboard with a cooling setup as aigmorla has, no offense at all.

NOTE: i recently got off the phone with Asus and they informed me that intel had released some a new microcode update for the kentfield proc's which they will be implementing in a new bios. There is still no beta available for this but it is in the 'works'. Now, how credible is this info from a phone rep? who knows...im just repeating what i was told while on the phone.

GFORCE100

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: r3zon8
NOTE: i recently got off the phone with Asus and they informed me that intel had released some a new microcode update for the kentfield proc's which they will be implementing in a new bios. There is still no beta available for this but it is in the 'works'. Now, how credible is this info from a phone rep? who knows...im just repeating what i was told while on the phone.

The above is true, Toms hardware even reported it so it's just a matter of time before Asus releases the new BIOS. It will basically update the B3 stepping to have the fixes available as standard in E0 stepping Core 2 Duo's so who knows, maybe more stability, less heat or whatever it does.

I still wish Asus would just fix the CPU multiplier ratio bug, beats having an Extreme edition if the multiplier is lited to 6x-10x.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
My Q6600 and E6600 both started having trouble above 3.1ghz on my P5W-DH. I tried every bios from the earliest that supports Kensfield, to the 2004 beta version, and hit the same wall. Doesn't matter how much voltage I feed the CPU, or how underclocked the RAM is. I can get orthos to be 100% stable at 3.2ghz, but as soon as I start up folding@home it reboots. Same thing was happing with the E6600, so I really think it's motherboard related.

vdeluca7

Mar 13, 2007
What is a better option for a heavy multi-tasker, a q6600 overclocked to 3.2 or a e6600 overclocked to 3.6 on an EVGA 680i with 4 GIGS RAM? Also, looked at 4GB 2x2 sets from Mushkin, would I notice a difference in performance with a bette timed set or is the speed of the set more important? I am looking at pc2 6400 sets timed at 5-5-5-12, 5-4-4-12 and 4-3-3-10 and a pc2 8500 set at 5-4-4-12 (pretty expensive for my tastes). Where would I notice the improvement in performance the most and what is the best use of my money?

Thank you for the input.