Overclock help...

ZenOne

Sep 6, 2008
How should I go about OC'ing an E6750 on an ASUS P5Q mobo with (2 x 2 GB) of DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM (Kingston)? I have a Zalman CPU fan and a 600 W CoolerMaster power supply.

I have never done this before and I saw that the P5Q has OC'ing utilities built into it; should I use them? What exactly do I have to change? I am modest and simply want to run at 3.0 to 3.2 GHz max.

BTW, video card is eVGA 9800 GTX+ if that changes anything.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
You'll want to read this first, then come back here to ask any questions you have about it. It will pretty much involve lowering your RAM speed to 1:1 (333 Mhz/666 DDR, in your case), and raising your vCore and/or CPU VTT as needed, although no overclock is the same. You might need to change 4 or 5 things, and you might only have to change one or two.

ZenOne

Sep 6, 2008
I read that but I also read the Manual for the P5Q and it states that I could just OC from the built-in tool without changing anything other than the FSB and it would adjust the rest--is this accurate?

ZenOne

Sep 6, 2008
Anyone? My OC isn't very ambitious--I would like to change as little as possible. Thanks in advance.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: betasub
The built-in tool is for newbs who are scared to touch settings in the BIOS. Use it if you have low expectations.

Otherwise, please read and follow the sticky linked by myocardia.

I +3 this advice.

But to put it to you gently, if you are saying you are not going to be very ambisious now, just wait until you get your OC and you want more out of it. The bug will bite you, and will bite you hard. Have fun! :)

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Don't use the built-in tool. Overclocking isn't so complicated that a short-cut like that provides a real advantage. When you do it yourself you can tweak it to find the lowest possible voltage, reducing the energy consumption and heat output.