Outlook software 2013

PmoalkA12

Apr 10, 2013
What is new in Outlook 2013? how can I start working with emails, tasks or appointments, and calendars in Outlook 2013 etc?

Flynn Isaac

Apr 8, 2013
Microsoft Outlook is well-regarded as the ‘standard’ for email clients within corporate and enterprise environments, worldwide. The latest version of Microsoft's Outlook software, Outlook 2013, brings an overhauled user interface focusing on cleanliness and productivity - two essential aspects allowing professionals to optimize their work life.

The primary focus of the update reflects the reinforcement and preservation of the existing elements of the Outlook software experience (management of emails, tasks, appointments, and calendars) while adding new features such as social integration and additional utilities.

As well as the other applications which are part of the Office 2013 suite, Outlook is only compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8. Environments that comprise of Windows XP (or below) systems are required to upgrade in order to use the software. As versions of Outlook have evolved basic functions such as the ‘Setup Wizard’ have also gained improved automatic ‘facilities’. The Setup Wizard automatically retrieves mail server settings for most email services - allowing users to simply enter their credentials in order to connect and authenticate.

Although Outlook is compatible with all suitable email providers, at the time of writing, Google Apps sychronisation and the Sync add-in are not compatible with Outlook 2013 and will not work upon upgrading.

Users of the Outlook.com webmail service may notice a few similarities between the webmail and desktop user interfaces. Taking inspiration from Windows 8’s ‘Modern UI’ changes, a ‘footer-style’ selection bar has been added, as well as an iOS-style message preview situated beneath each listed email.

Some minor features also aim to reduce the need for users to divert their attention in order to obtain information and allow for faster work, such as the new Weather Bar - displaying the forecast within the Outlook interface, as well as advanced filtering and search tools - allowing users to arrange and control displayed email. The ribbon, however, is still included, as a consistent feature throughout a majority of Microsoft’s more modern software.

In-keeping with the focuses of cleanliness and productivity, another addition is Peeks. Peeks takes inspiration from Windows 7’s Aero Peek feature, allowing users to take a quick glance at other Outlook functions without leaving your current workspace or view. What’s apparent is that Outlook 2013 revolves around streamlined, clean productivity without the need for diversions or distractions.

Although it’s not an update that ‘totally redefines the Outlook experience’, the modifications that have been made evidently have the potential to optimise and drive productivity within a workplace environment, as well as unify the management of corporate functions for professionals who are away from their offices or primarily use portable devices.

Whether on a tablet or a standard desktop workstation, Outlook 2013 meets its ‘underlying goal’ in delivering a refined experience and allowing users to efficiently manage their work lives in one software package. Information is easy to access and existing functions have been reinforced, improved and developed to deliver a true ‘go-to’ email client for use in environments where efficiency and productivity are key while being upheld by reliable IT solutions, such as Microsoft Exchange.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
One note, there's small bug with Outlook 2013 and ESET's email plugin. Just disable the plugin via ESET's console (does not disable email protection).

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Information is easy to access and existing functions have been reinforced, improved and developed to deliver a true ‘go-to’ email client for use in environments where efficiency and productivity are key while being upheld by reliable IT solutions, such as Microsoft Exchange.

I am having loads of problems using Outlook 2013 to connect to my work's Microsoft Exchange server. When it tries to 'look up' my username it claims that it is not connected, and other errors happen at almost every step of the way.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I am having loads of problems using Outlook 2013 to connect to my work's Microsoft Exchange server. When it tries to 'look up' my username it claims that it is not connected, and other errors happen at almost every step of the way.

I'd look at your exchange server's autodiscover

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I'd look at your exchange server's autodiscover

I ended up having to connect using a proxy (one of the advanced settings under connection) as Outlook kept stating that it was not connected or able to connect. Perhaps this wasn't Outlook's fault, but rather the way my work's exchange server is set up?

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Check to make sure there's an entry in dns for autodiscover. other than that I really couldn't tell you much more.