Outlook PST Repair

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by coolVariable, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolVariable

coolVariable Diamond Member

Trying to fix/repair/recover a 20GB outlook PST file.

Scanpst crashes while trying to fix the file.
    And scanpst is no good anyhow since it discards any information where the header info is corrupt. Last time I tried scanpst it 'discarded' half the data in a pst file (1.5GB went down to 750MB).

What are good alternatives?
    Google is surprisingly unhelpful (a lot of pst info out there is for office xp or older when pst files were hard limited to 2GB and that caused most of the issues).

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Outlook Repair Forum Date
    Any way to stagger the sending of email in Outlook online? Software for Windows May 8, 2017
    Microsoft Outlook: File Outlook.pst could not be accessed. Software for Windows Apr 24, 2017
    Outlook 2013 and web browser email behaviour Software for Windows Jan 17, 2017
    Does anyone know where to get the outlook Inbox Repair Tool???? Software for Windows Oct 1, 2001
    MS Outlook ost file conversion/repair Software for Windows Jan 4, 2001

3. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

I doubt you'll find much since PST files are a sort of black tarpit for email that only MS seems to understand. I've used readpst on Linux to make a Maildir from mine at work from time to time but never tried it on a broken PST.

4. Snapster

Snapster Diamond Member

20GB pst, damn! Last time I ran into problems with a pst, I had to split the file up using a binary/hex editor and delete chunks and creating mini pst's with less info within. At least I got the info back but it was very time consuming.

5. techmanc

techmanc Senior member

So sad but curious why you didn't have a backup?

6. redbeard1

redbeard1 Diamond Member

Is it possible to run an archive on it? I have seen where the 2 gig limit was reached, but an archive completed successfully, and then by running the compact utility, got the file below the 2 gig limit. Hopefully this would work on a 20 gig file.

I would also suggest that before you continue on, that you make a backup copy of the pst file so you have it in case something you try corrupts it worse.

I did some quick checking and it does not appear that the old crop pst tool from MS is listed as working for a 2007 20 gig file. The old tool would crop some portion of the oversized file, you could not choose what, to get the file below the size limit, so that the scanpst tool could work.

MS article about pst repairs

Pay Recovery software

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.