Our great nation can no longer afford compromise and bipartisanship

Oct 16, 1999
So says the tea party organizations urging Sen. Lamar Alexander to retire.
A group of tea-party and conservative organizations urged Sen. Lamar Alexander (R., Tenn.) to retire rather than seek a third term next year, signaling that tea-party activists have zeroed in on a new target as they try to pressure incumbent Republicans from the right.

In an open letter published Wednesday, 20 groups based in the state attacked Mr. Alexander, saying the country “can no longer afford compromise and bipartisanship, two traits for which you have become famous.”

The letter was signed by several groups purporting to represent tea-party and conservative activists in a number of counties across Tennessee. According to Matt Collins, an activist who said he wrote and circulated the letter, the groups collectively represent around 10,000 members.
More at link:
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/08/14/conservatives-to-sen-alexander-time-to-retire/
Please continue tea partiers.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How are people supposed to run a country where one of the two major political parties has just lost their minds to this extent?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If I were Alexander I'd tell them to shove that letter up their ass.

word.

The most unpopular Congress in our history, blithely ignores that the people who put them where they are, wholly disagree with their antics over the last 2 years.

I wonder how the newest crop of self-proclaimed teabaggers will do in the 2014 elections?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Okay, I read it again and my point stands. What objection do you have to what I wrote?

Then your point fails.

There are about 3 million registered voters in Tennessee. I haven't been about to track down how many are registered Republican, however the Republican party dominates so it's reasonable that half or more are "R". You might quibble about specific numbers, but it would be hard to argue that's unlikely.

The OP says that the groups represent about 10,000 voters.

Doing the math, that's about 0.67% of "one of the two major parties", which according to you have lost their minds.

Math. Love it.

Oct 16, 1999
Then your point fails.

There are about 3 million registered voters in Tennessee. I haven't been about to track down how many are registered Republican, however the Republican party dominates so it's reasonable that half or more are "R". You might quibble about specific numbers, but it would be hard to argue that's unlikely.

Doing the math, that's about 0.67% of "one of the two major parties", which according to you have lost their minds.

Math. Love it.

I know, right? It's clearly only these 10,000 or so conservatives in TN with this mentality. It's not like the party as a whole has gone insane.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Then your point fails.

Math. Love it.

I do love math, but I doubt you genuinely want to get into the math on this. If you look at the results more accurately, my guess is that those 10,000 people will represent something around 4-5% of the Republican primary electorate. (I ran a quick analysis on previous US Senate primary turnout for the last year without another contested statewide election using the data from Tennessee's SOS website).

You also know as well as I do that those 10,000 putting forth that opinion are the tip of the iceberg. The idea that compromising with Democrats is something that simply should not be done is far more prevalent than just those guys.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I know, right? It's clearly only these 10,000 or so conservatives in TN with this mentality. It's not like the party as a whole has gone insane.

You might try math and logical process instead of partisan hackery. Based on YOUR OP, given what is stated in it, demonstrate how less than 1% constitutes the majority.

Good luck.

BTW, I think all partisans are nuts, but I don't make up New Math to demonstrate it.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Apr 27, 2012
The Tea Party are are Americans who believe in the Constitution unlike some other people. There is nothing wrong with the Tea Party and it's shameful how people would attack them like this.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Well, at least they're publicly admitting to being the problem with Congress. I think if we could somehow eliminate the Tea Party presence from Congress that the country could actually return to some semblance of functioning.

I suggest eliminating all parties from Congress. Might as well clean House.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
If I were Alexander I'd tell them to shove that letter up their ass.

Every reasonable conservative needs to do this... Tea party members primaried winning republicans then lost the general election against the democratic nominee. This is a major reason the Senate is still in a democratic majority.

the most famous or notable example of this was Senator Dick Luger a republican who easily beat his democratic opponents by margins ranging from 8% to well over 30%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lugar
Then some teabagger jackass knocked him out in a primary then lost the seat to a democratic contender.

Yes I am more likely to favor a democratic candidate by far, however, there was a time when reasonable members of Congress could produce decent compromise legislation that served the people without producing too many bad consequences. As long as the Teabaggers have influence that will never happen again.

The Tea Party are are Americans who believe in the Constitution unlike some other people. There is nothing wrong with the Tea Party and it's shameful how people would attack them like this.

I'll refrain from the usual reasonable response to your posts but I vehemently disagree with that statement.

Last edited:

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Yes, because the party that just showed up in congress is CLEARLY the reason the entire economy, healthcare, and other major aspects of our country are completely FUBAR right now. If we could just get rid of those pesky tax-hating, fiscally conservative, Constitution-loving rats, everything would be just dandy!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, because the party that just showed up in congress is CLEARLY the reason the entire economy, healthcare, and other major aspects of our country are completely FUBAR right now. If we could just get rid of those pesky tax-hating Constitution-loving rats, everything would be just dandy!

:rolleyes:

I really wish they loved the Constitution. Hell, I would settle just for them understanding the Constitution.

This article sums up the Tea Party better than anything else I've seen:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c,2849/

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Yes, because the party that just showed up in congress is CLEARLY the reason the entire economy, healthcare, and other major aspects of our country are completely FUBAR right now. If we could just get rid of those pesky fiscally conservative, tax-hating, Constitution-loving rats, everything would be just dandy!

The teabaggers would prevent the re-instatement of the Glass-Steagall act. Gramm-Leach-Blighly which did away with Glass-Steagall was something that encourage wall street to gamble in a way that helped crash the economy.
They're against any legislation that would keep wall streeters from screwing over middle class families on mainstreet.

They're stupid.

Teabaggers aren't offering any solutions that "kill the patient" in the proverbial sense and if they were in Congress earlier the policies they advocate would've made the 80's and 90's periods of low economic growth.

In case you haven't noticed while the economy isn't booming since 2009 the downturn has been largely halted and there has been slow and tepid growth. Teabagging asshats would've stopped that growth.

Nov 30, 2006
Every reasonable conservative needs to do this... Tea party members primaried winning republicans then lost the general election against the democratic nominee. This is a major reason the Senate is still in a democratic majority.

the most famous or notable example of this was Senator Dick Luger a republican who easily beat his democratic opponents by margins ranging from 8% to well over 30%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lugar
Then some teabagger jackass knocked him out in a primary then lost the seat to a democratic contender.

Yes I am more likely to favor a democratic candidate by far, however, there was a time when reasonable members of Congress could produce decent compromise legislation that served the people without producing too many bad consequences. As long as the Teabaggers have influence that will never happen again.

I'll refrain from the usual reasonable response to your posts but I vehemently disagree with that statement.
I would like to see our Congress produce decent compromise legislation as well. But don't deceive yourself...there are more than a few on the Dem side of the aisle that are as bad or worse than the Tea Party folks when it comes to negotiating compromise solutions. As you may recall, Dems rammed through Obamacare with little or no compromise/bipartisanship.

Apr 27, 2012
The teabaggers would prevent the re-instatement of the Glass-Steagall act. Gramm-Leach-Blighly which did away with Glass-Steagall was something that encourage wall street to gamble in a way that helped crash the economy.
They're against any legislation that would keep wall streeters from screwing over middle class families on mainstreet.

They're stupid.

Teabaggers aren't offering any solutions that "kill the patient" in the proverbial sense and if they were in Congress earlier the policies they advocate would've made the 80's and 90's periods of low economic growth.

In case you haven't noticed while the economy isn't booming since 2009 the downturn has been largely halted and there has been slow and tepid growth. Teabagging asshats would've stopped that growth.

Were you Teabagged?

They are American patriots who defend the Constitution. The government was responsible for the Wall Street crash and not the banks. The government doesn't have the right to bully banks like this.

Oct 16, 1999
I would like to see our Congress produce decent compromise legislation as well. But don't deceive yourself...there are more than a few on the Dem side of the aisle that are as bad or worse than the Tea Party folks when it comes to negotiating compromise solutions. As you may recall, Dems rammed through Obamacare with little or no compromise/bipartisanship.

Obamacare is a compromise bill. It's no accident it so closely resembled Romneycare. Plus
Of the 788 amendments filed, 67 came from Democrats and 721 from Republicans.[] Only 197 amendments were passed in the end—36 from Democrats and 161 from Republicans. And of those 161 GOP amendments, Senate Republicans classify 29 as substantive and 132 as technical.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...7/this_is_what_bipartisanship_looks_like.html
But don't let any of that interfere with your rhetoric.

And the Senate just passed bipartisan compromise on both immigration reform and the farm bill only to die in the HOUSE due to these stubborn tea party folks.

Nov 30, 2006
Obamacare is a compromise bill. It's no accident it so closely resembled Romneycare. Plus

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...7/this_is_what_bipartisanship_looks_like.html
But don't let any of that interfere with your rhetoric.

And the Senate just passed bipartisan compromise on both immigration reform and the farm bill only to die in the HOUSE due to these stubborn tea party folks.
Obamacare was passed without a single Republican vote. If you want to believe there was significant compromise by Democrats...go for it, as I'm sure it helps make you feel all warm a fuzzy about the way that particular piece of "bipartisan" legislation was handled. :rolleyes:

Oct 16, 1999
Obamacare was passed without a single Republican vote. If you want to believe there was significant compromise by Democrats...go for it, as I'm sure it helps make you feel all warm a fuzzy about the way that particular piece of "bipartisan" legislation was handled. :rolleyes:

I'm not the one letting "feelings" get in the way of the facts of the matter.