Ouch! I wonder if President Bush ever read Powell's book.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Or if he knows a Mr Renew from Martinez, Ga.

I found this in my travels. ;)

Wants proof Bush served in military

No doubt about it, President George W. Bush is a very popular man. If he could walk on water, he would be more popular than Jesus.

On April 21, there was a picture of Mr. Bush, first lady Laura Bush and former POWs - Chief Warrant Officer Ronald D. Young Jr. and Chief Warrant Officer David S. Williams - on the Front Page of The Chronicle. I knew Mr. Bush wasn't going to let that photo op pass him by.

As popular as he is, not one person to my knowledge has come forth and said, "I served with Lt. George W. Bush in the Alabama Guard." An Associated Press article dated June 25, 2000, which I cut out of The Chronicle, says in part that they were looking for people who served with him to verify his story that he did.

Of all the men who served in that Alabama Guard Unit when Lt. Bush was supposed to be assigned there, you would think at least one would come forth so that President Bush could have a photo op with that person.

Retired Gen. William Turnipseed, who was a lieutenant colonel in 1972 when Lt. Bush was supposed to report to him, has said that to his knowledge he never showed up.

In Secretary of State Colin Powell's autobiography, My American Journey, he says, "I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed managed to wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National Guard units... Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."

As a Purple Heart veteran and former infantryman in South Korea in 1950 with orders to "hold or die," I assure you that no Vietnam War coward who makes it to the White House and the title "Mr. President" will ever have my respect, let alone honor.

Richard D. Renew, Martinez, Ga.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Gaard

No doubt about it, President George W. Bush is a very popular man. If he could walk on water, he would be more popular than Jesus.

On April 21, there was a picture of Mr. Bush, first lady Laura Bush and former POWs - Chief Warrant Officer Ronald D. Young Jr. and Chief Warrant Officer David S. Williams - on the Front Page of The Chronicle. I knew Mr. Bush wasn't going to let that photo op pass him by.

As popular as he is, not one person to my knowledge has come forth and said, "I served with Lt. George W. Bush in the Alabama Guard." An Associated Press article dated June 25, 2000, which I cut out of The Chronicle, says in part that they were looking for people who served with him to verify his story that he did.

Of all the men who served in that Alabama Guard Unit when Lt. Bush was supposed to be assigned there, you would think at least one would come forth so that President Bush could have a photo op with that person.

Retired Gen. William Turnipseed, who was a lieutenant colonel in 1972 when Lt. Bush was supposed to report to him, has said that to his knowledge he never showed up.

In Secretary of State Colin Powell's autobiography, My American Journey, he says, "I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed managed to wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National Guard units... Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."

As a Purple Heart veteran and former infantryman in South Korea in 1950 with orders to "hold or die," I assure you that no Vietnam War coward who makes it to the White House and the title "Mr. President" will ever have my respect, let alone honor.

You do know that Retired Gen. William Turnipseed has already stated that he has been misquoted by boston paper that printed the original information.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Gaard

You do know that Retired Gen. William Turnipseed has already stated that he has been misquoted by boston paper that printed the original information.

Actually, I believe he recanted. I don't recall him saying that he was misquoted...I may be wrong. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make anyways.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Spencer278
I don't think bush has ever read a book without lots of pictures.
Didn't I see somewhere that Bush's self-professed "childhood favorite" book wasn't even written until Bush was in his thirties?

BTW Gaard, great excerpt. Ouch indeed.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Actually, I believe he recanted. I don't recall him saying that he was misquoted...I may be wrong. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make anyways.
I agree. From his quotes it appears he regrets saying that he didn't recall seeing Bush. I believe he said 900-1000 men rolled through during that period so it was certainly possible that Bush was there performing his duty.

Curiously, at least one TANG report calls Bush's work "notable". I guess AL has higher standards.;)

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Didn't I see somewhere that Bush's self-professed "childhood favorite" book wasn't even written until Bush was in his thirties?

Isn't there also a picture out there of bush "reading" a picture book upside down?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

Isn't there also a picture out there of bush "reading" a picture book upside down?

And it is photoshopped.