tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I'm very late on this and it's surprising that the internet has clearly either moved on or everyone knows how to do it and I'm the last one left going, "...wait, how does this work??..."

Am I totally wrong that I can just get some kind of digital antenna and get the OTA TV channels that are broadcast in my area for free? For local networks, etc? If not, what is the device? I have an IPTV box, does that work? Is that what the tuner is for on my TV?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
15 miles from downtown Chicago - 55 stations picked up.
That is the thing, if you live in a big city, then you have lots of channels.
If you don't, you are lucky to get more than 2 channels with a indoor antenna, unless you have one of those massive antennas on the roof.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
That is the thing, if you live in a big city, then you have lots of channels.
If you don't, you are lucky to get more than 2 channels with a indoor antenna, unless you have one of those massive antennas on the roof.
every location is different, thus the link to antennaweb and tvfool. It is true that the larger urban areas have more stations due to the simple fact that population = potential customer base, but I have seen many who are in an area considered rural with great reception via attic antennae (not needing a ginormic roof antenna with massive amplification), and also seen people in urban location that pick up squat due to their location...

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Meh, I go with the roof antenna whenever possible. I hate fooling around with indoor antennas.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
this on a pole on the roof would get a good number of stations in many environments: https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Mast...=UTF8&qid=1489094796&sr=8-1&keywords=cm3000hd Product Dimensions 2.4 x 12.5 x 15.2 inches

Should pick up stations (re: Antennaweb) that fall within CEA Color Code yellow, green, light-green (Multidirectional small/ medium/ large or small directional)
for example, at ground level antennaweb shows this for my zip code: http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations?...alse&Latitude=29.560052&Longitude=-98.3636131
at 30' elevation (typical rooftop/ high attic) antennaweb shows this: http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations?...True&Latitude=29.560052&Longitude=-98.3636131

tvfool reports are more technical, but they show the signal path (LOS is best, then 1edge, 2edge, and worst is tropo) <tvfool is down at this exact second, but see attached image for an example.
tvFoolReport1_ann_overview.png

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Is there some reason why tvfool refuses to load for me? Just doesn't connect at all to a site and then times out.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
I'm very late on this and it's surprising that the internet has clearly either moved on or everyone knows how to do it and I'm the last one left going, "...wait, how does this work??..."

Am I totally wrong that I can just get some kind of digital antenna and get the OTA TV channels that are broadcast in my area for free? For local networks, etc? If not, what is the device? I have an IPTV box, does that work? Is that what the tuner is for on my TV?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

am i the only one that remembers when OTA was the norm? growing up with 3-4 channels?

is this for real?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I recall having only OTA from age 0-13 or so. We got cable for a year or two in middle school. Then I think my junior year of HS we got DirecTV...in the days when you had to pay to have it installed so my dad and I installed it ourselves. But generally it seems most everyone I knew had cable. This was in the 90's.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
where i grew up there was no cable.
it was BUD back then if you wanted anything other than OTA

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
am i the only one that remembers when OTA was the norm? growing up with 3-4 channels?

is this for real?
Of course I remember. But its no longer the standard in many places. So I'm trying to learn how its done in cities that have moved to digital HD OTA which isnt just getting a TV and playing with bunny ears .
Where I grew up we had 5 or 6 channels OTA and then a converter gave us 13. Then one day 30. Then all hell broke loose with cable and TV has sucked ever since.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
How many stations you get depends on how far you are from the TV transmitter and how good you antenna is.

2 miles form the transmitter and a coat hanger for an antenna will get you all the stations being broadcast from the antenna. 30 miles from the transmitter and even a $100 digital antenna will only get a few.

That's why people are telling to to go to the digital TV sites. You put in you address and they tell you what you'll get with various antennas.

There are many DYI antennas you can build for a few bucks. From there you can get an idea what you'll get with a better antenna. Heck, hook up a rabbit ears and see what happens.

My experience 15 miles from downtown Chicago:
Simple DIY antenna (in a window with screens and facing away from downtown) 16 stations.
Much better DIY antenna - similar antenna, but 12 elements instead of 4 (in a window with screens and facing away from downtown) 35 stations
$50 digital antenna in the attic, with a signal booster too, facing downtown, 55 stations.

Last edited:

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
That's why people are telling to to go to the digital TV sites. You put in you address and they tell you what you'll get with various antennas.
I can see that telling me what's available at what distance, but I don't see like you said where it says anything about various antennas?
There are many DYI antennas you can build for a few bucks...
I forgot to mention with everyone recommending "the roof". I live in an apartment. The roof is never gonna happen.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I am a cord cutter from April 2003
[To date: I am using my old Dish Network account of $54.98 a month :: 132 months @ $45.98 = At least $7,257.36 saved]

I have tried all three type of antennas, indoor, attic and outdoor. Outdoor will get great reception and clarity but can be affected by wind and storms. Attic ones are the largest and do well with reception but are fixed by location (usually pointing in the direction you last set it. The indoor have been getting better but you are relying on an extra piece of hardware, the plug-in powered booster, to refine the signal.

Best outdoor: Channel Master, hands down. This also works as the best attic antenna too.
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-CM-4228HD-High-Antenna/dp/B000FVVKQM

Best indoor: Mohu leaf 50. Wirecutter recommends Clearstream, but I have not tried it. I use the Mohu for my HRHomerun box connected to my computer. It works well.

One thing to note. Vizio's 2016 model of TVs do not have digital tuners. You will need to buy one if you have those TVs.

One thing you will probably get with OTA are all those channels like MeTV or Heroes & Icons, which show all classic TV reruns.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I can see that telling me what's available at what distance, but I don't see like you said where it says anything about various antennas?
I forgot to mention with everyone recommending "the roof". I live in an apartment. The roof is never gonna happen.
antennaweb.org mentions the color codes for antennae; tvfool is more technical with "LOS/ edge/ etc" and signal levels and does not mention antenna color codes.

(scroll to the bottom here: http://www.antennaweb.org/Info/AntennaInfo )

this antenna says it is CEA Color Code yellow, green, light-green https://www.channelmaster.com/SMARTenna_HD_Antenna_p/cm-3000hd.htm

Picture:
HDTV-antenna-reception-coding.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxDepth