Ota pvr

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is (generally) no need to ever run WMC on the recording box. You can run it mostly headless if desired. OTA recordings can be played via another WMC/Windows computer, or through Kodi. Just share the recorded TV folder and watch anywhere on your network. Although the hdhomerun can allow you to have multiple recording systems in the house, it s simpler to manage series with just one recording box.

To schedule recordings remotely, use remotepotato. With remotepotato installed on the recording computer, you can access the guide and schedule recordings via webpage, android app, or even via another WMC system (via wmc plugin).

For livetv or recording functions via Kodi, look into serverwmc, which is also installed on the recording system. I find it easier to schedule series via the web interface, and I just use serverwmc/kodi for live tv viewing.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
A friend brought up a good point. Considering I am just starting out and WMC is on its way out should I really be looking for another solution to WMC?

While waiting on that answer :) I have a couple of things stirring in my head. I was down on my wife's iMac running 10.7 (Lion?), which HD HomeRun states to support. I download the app and install it. When I run VIEW, it complains that it needs VLC, which isn't on the App store.

Not at the wife's iMac this morning, but can this be gotten via VLC directly? Also, the HD HomeRun install web page doesn't suggest it supports iOS devices, but it does list Android.

And then there is the Xbox 1 and 360 support. Based on the information from the HD HomeRun install page, this is accomplished via M$ WMC Extender technologies. If WMC is going away, won't WMC Extender, too? If that is the case then there goes the semi-native Xbox 1/360 support without employing a 3rd party solution.

BTW, since WMC isn't on my tiny HP Stream mini PC running Windows 8.1 with Bing, I will be looking for something else as a view. I like the idea of just sharing the /Public/Recorded TV folder to the LAN and that certainly makes things simple.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I did mention earlier the more "self contained" solution was Tablo...
The HDHR is awesome for live..
Officially you should be able to use WMC until around 2020 (Win7 EOS), longer if you got in on the 8.1 WMC upgrade before they turned that off. Note that I would try to focus on using WMC as just the recording solution (It works well, but I have seen some of the changes, especially with guide data, going the wrong way).
VLC for Mac:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
I would take your recorded files and share via Plex (Basically set the recording folder as a Plex Share), which has clients for <MOST> devices.
Plex Server (Free):
Computer or NAS: https://plex.tv/downloads
**for most in-home stuff, you don't need the paid subscription**
https://plex.tv/features
Plex Clients (some are paid, but cheap):
XBox
AppleTV 4 (Sorry, I got nothing for the ATV3)
Roku/ Android TV/ Samsung/ Vizio/ Opera
Android/ iOS/ Windows

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
A friend brought up a good point. Considering I am just starting out and WMC is on its way out should I really be looking for another solution to WMC?

While waiting on that answer :) I have a couple of things stirring in my head. I was down on my wife's iMac running 10.7 (Lion?), which HD HomeRun states to support. I download the app and install it. When I run VIEW, it complains that it needs VLC, which isn't on the App store.

Not at the wife's iMac this morning, but can this be gotten via VLC directly? Also, the HD HomeRun install web page doesn't suggest it supports iOS devices, but it does list Android.

And then there is the Xbox 1 and 360 support. Based on the information from the HD HomeRun install page, this is accomplished via M$ WMC Extender technologies. If WMC is going away, won't WMC Extender, too? If that is the case then there goes the semi-native Xbox 1/360 support without employing a 3rd party solution.

BTW, since WMC isn't on my tiny HP Stream mini PC running Windows 8.1 with Bing, I will be looking for something else as a view. I like the idea of just sharing the /Public/Recorded TV folder to the LAN and that certainly makes things simple.

I ended up converting to Jriver Media Center to get rid of WMC in the household. PVR and time shifting functions well the interface on a big screen. You can also run it as a client in Linux on chromebox, nucs and other small mini pc. A household master license is $70 and then you need to subscribe to PERC data for the pvr online guide data that runs $30 a year. Did the whole Kodi and Nextpvr thing in windows 10 and found the whole experience frustrating.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
re: frustration

I fully understand your sentiment. In my quest to find the replacement for my WMC, I have crossed paths with several starts to a solution. I found Kodi to be annoying, and have pushed down the path of Android TV as a result. The potential for the platform is astounding, and several solutions are most of the way to where I want to be. I have great functionality of "Google Live Channels" for OTA (using HDHR Connect Tuners), and am waiting for a conversion device to import a required stream into a consolidated interface. I also like the direction that "Tablo" is headed, and am currently validating it as my DVR replacement.