OT: Son having surgery tomorrow...

Hurricane Andrew

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2004
Just wanted to let you guys know I won't be around for a few days. My 6 year old is having surgery tomorrow, and I'll be occupied for a few days. It's fairly serious stuff. He's having a procedure known as fundoplication, where they essentially take part of your stomach and wrap it around the esophogus to help combat acid reflux.

Long story short, he's underweight for his age--37 pounds (just under 17 kilos for the rest of the world) and turns 7 in just a few months. He has very bad acid reflux---he's been on adult doses of Zantac AND Prilosec for the past 9 months, and he's still refluxing all the way up into his throat nearly 40% of the time.

He also gets a G-tube, which is essentially an expressway to and from his stomach both for feeding for a period of time after the surgery as well as to relieve gas buildup, since at first he won't be able to belch or otherwise get rid of the gas any other way. We had a shock last week. We were expecting the tube to be a 2- 3 week thing, but our last visit with the surgeon indicated that it is more likely a 6-12 month thing. Ugh.

Here's a quick link with some info on the procedure.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully I'll have some good news to post in a few days.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You got it. I'll keep your son, his surgeon and caregivers, you, and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

And may the procedure be completely successful!

rose.gif

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
I am sorry to hear the little guy is going through so much. I hope the surgery goes well and I hope he has a speedy recovery. You are all in our prayers.

You and Liz hang in there and if there is anythingI can do just let me know.

Please take care and god bless!

Mike

ruffilb

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2005
Good luck. I hope everything goes perfectly and according to plan. It sounds like your son's quality of life should - no, WILL improve tremendously after the operation though.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Your son, you and your wife, the doctors and nurses are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless all. :sun:

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
I am terribly sorry to hear about this :( We will keep you and your family in our thoughts and hope that everything goes well.

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Hey sorry to hear the sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with him, you and your family and I hope all goes very well.

mk

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
I am sorry to hear the little guy is going through so much. I hope the surgery goes well and I hope he has a speedy recovery.
My thoughts are with him & the rest of the family.

rose.gif

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
I wish your son the best for a speedy recovery. I can empathize with you as my little guy has been through quite a lot in his eight years. None the worse for wear. Good luck to you all!

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
I hope everything went well. you and yours are very much in my thoughts tonight. God bless and please take care.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Originally posted by: RaySun2Be
You got it. I'll keep your son, his surgeon and caregivers, you, and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

And may the procedure be completely successful!

rose.gif

Hope all went well today.............

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Just returned from a trip and saw this thread. I sure hope everything was a success.

rose.gif

Hurricane Andrew

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2004
Quick update (gotta love Children's hospitals...they have all sort of neat things like internet access for inpatients):

The surgery went very well according to the Dr. Very little blood loss, good wrap, able to do it complete laproscopically. Kevin is in a fair amount of pain, but that's expected. Hopefully, he'll be released this weekend, as long as he does those ever important things like going to the bathroom, eating some soft foods, and drinking. He was very upset at the tube coming out of his stomach. Knowing about it and seeing it are very different things, especially for a 6 year old.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. This is truely a great forum, and my thoughts and prayers go out to each and everyone here
rose.gif

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The surgery went very well according to the Dr. Very little blood loss, good wrap, able to do it complete laproscopically.

So glad to hear that. :thumbsup:

Continued prayers for a speedy and full recovery, and for you, and your wife, stength to give him all the support he needs.
rose.gif

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Wahoo!!! That is great news indeed :p I hope the recovery goes well and that you all can rest easier :p

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks for the good news. My prayers and best wishes are with your son and your family. :D

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
HA
Sorry to hear about your sons condition :(
But good to hear the op went well :) ,I hope that he makes a speedy recovery & rapidly gets used to that tube.

All the best to you & your family
Mark