OT---Math breakthrough! Now a work-log.

Peter Trend

Jan 8, 2009
"It is comparatively easy to make clever guesses; indeed there are theorems, like 'Goldbach's Theorem,' which have never been proved and which any fool could have guessed." Faber and Faber offered a $1,000,000 prize to anyone who proved Goldbach's conjecture between March 20, 2000 and March 20, 2002, but the prize went unclaimed and the conjecture remains open.
Jeez. Wow! :D:D:D

Last edited:

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
I'm not in it for the money. I'm in it for the same reason I joined TeAm AnandTech: I'm in it for the groupies!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Congrats! When and where are you publishing for scrutiny?

I have just started the first draft. I should take about a week. Then I will let it sit for a few days and then study it for any glaring errors. Then I will format it for the target journal (undecided at this point.)

If I have an area that needs more than my expertise, I will find someone to fix it in exchange for a co-authorship.

The easy part of the proofs are the three conjectures. The difficult part to explain is the completely new type of convergent prime series that I invented, because it goes counter to all conventional knowledge about the normal types of series.

Would you happen to know any number theorists who would be willing to give it a quick read-through when I have it done?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Perhaps post here. If R.D. Silverman says it's junk, ignore his rhetoric and just look at his specific complaints.

Edit: Maybe read that, but post a new thread here.

Last edited:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
As some of you are aware, I am a fledgling mathematician.

Last night I was preparing to start writing a proof of Andrica's Conjecture and
Legendre's Conjecture, and on a whim, I used a slightly different method to look at Goldbach's Conjecture. Within minutes, I found a proof of that!

I'm so giddy, I can't sit still long enough to write the proofs!

Truly amazing Roody........ and congratulations on the accomplishment.

My only foray into proof testing consists of experiments with Jim Beam and Jack Daniels............... that made me giddy too.................

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Perhaps post here. If R.D. Silverman says it's junk, ignore his rhetoric and just look at his specific complaints.

Edit: Maybe read that, but post a new thread here.

Everyone on that thread has fallen into the Mathematician's Trap: thinking that everything relating to primes can be explained by a formula.

My proof involves using bounded steps over the natural numbers to create subsets of primes.

Those subsets are added together to get sets of even numbers and the replicates are removed.

I then use a number from the bounded step to determine the index of the highest even number that terminates the list of consecutive even numbers.

My proof relies on the fact that the indexed even number must be equal to the bounded step value. If they are not equal, then Goldbach's is wrong. I show that they must always be equal.

Bounded, Convergent Prime Series Abstract:
1) We create a new type of infinite prime series using bounded steps to force convergence. 2) Using one of these series, we show a proof of Andrica's Conjecture. 3) Using that proof, we show a proof of Legendre's Conjecture. 4) Using that same series in a slightly different manner, we show a proof of Goldbach's Conjecture. 5) Using another series and the series from 4, we show a proof of Goldbach's Weak Conjecture.

Last edited:

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Bounded, Convergent Prime Series Abstract:
We create a new type of infinite prime series using bounded steps to force convergence. We use these series to prove Andrica's, Legendre's, Goldbach's, and Goldbach's Weak Conjectures.

This series is magical.

I had to remove the twin primes part because it would prove another conjecture as infinite and that conjecture is known to be finite. The four I have listed are still good.

Last edited:

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
I have just finished converting Legendre's Conjecture into Legendre's Theorem.

That's assuming that I get the rest of this proof done.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
I have finished the proof of Brocard's Conjecture, a late addition to the paper.

So, I have completed one prime gap conjecture and one prime count conjecture. Two theorems and five conjectures to go.

Raghu

Aug 28, 2004
I will be following this thread for major announcements.

Though I understand all the conjectures, Im not able to follow your outline of proof. If you find time, please dumb it down for me. Thanks :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I have finished the proof of Brocard's Conjecture, a late addition to the paper.

So, I have completed one prime gap conjecture and one prime count conjecture. Two theorems and five conjectures to go.

This sounds really interesting ...

In my area of expertize (neurobiochemistry), you usually publish one thing at a time ... and not a number of discoveries all together.
Looks better on the CV :), but mostly because you have more space to discuss your finding.
On the other hand, you could write a methods paper, and then of course you publish solutions/proofs to several problems.

I don't know what mathematicians usually do, but it seems to me that a more to the point, shorter paper is more appreciated, especially if you publish them all serially.

Just my 2 cents ... :confused:

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
This sounds really interesting ...

In my area of expertize (neurobiochemistry), you usually publish one thing at a time ... and not a number of discoveries all together.
Looks better on the CV :), but mostly because you have more space to discuss your finding.
On the other hand, you could write a methods paper, and then of course you publish solutions/proofs to several problems.

I don't know what mathematicians usually do, but it seems to me that a more to the point, shorter paper is more appreciated, especially if you publish them all serially.

Just my 2 cents ... :confused:

I am doing it in sections: Series; Prime Gap Conjectures;....etc....

Series would be the most important, followed by Sieve Bootstrap, and finally the four types of conjectures.

I have a paper of Euler's, translated from Latin, that has a bunch theorems all in a row. I know we do things differently now days, but who am I to question The Master.

You got email.

Edit: I just figured out what CV is! I don't think a retired person needs one! I'm hoping this paper is my body of work. Though, I am also working on some other stuff, like the big bang theory, Reimann's Hypothisis, fat red-heads,etc....

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I am doing it in sections: Series; Prime Gap Conjectures;....etc....

Series would be the most important, followed by Sieve Bootstrap, and finally the four types of conjectures.

I have a paper of Euler's, translated from Latin, that has a bunch theorems all in a row. I know we do things differently now days, but who am I to question The Master.

You got email.

Edit: I just figured out what CV is! I don't think a retired person needs one! I'm hoping this paper is my body of work. Though, I am also working on some other stuff, like the big bang theory, Reimann's Hypothisis, fat read-heads,etc....

LoL! Especially the F R-H (Fat Red-Heads-theory) will be very hard to solve. Compared to that Reimann's and Big Bang are simple ... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the mail ... I'll look into it later today. Just now it is way too early (05:25 am) and I need a cup of coffee. At least one ... if not many more. :D

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
I have finished the proof of Andrica's Conjecture.

So, I have completed two prime gap conjectures and one prime count conjecture. Two theorems and four conjectures to go.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006

I discovered I have some time constraints, so I am paring down the paper as you have suggested.

In now contains the three conjectures I have proved and I am finishing the main original theorem.

The other theorem, which only applies to the twin primes conjecture, and the Goldbach conjectures, which require some judicious use of the inclusion/exclusion formula, will be done in separate papers.

This means that I should have this paper completed in about a week. (formatting, citations, etc...)