OT: i could use some help immediately please!!!

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I have a HD on another comp failing as we speak. Is there any way to move some files over my network in safe mode? I tried starting in "safe mode with network" but that didn't seem to work.
Safe mode itself didn't work either. Maybe i'm missing something?

Windows 98se on the failing HD.

Not a hude deal if i can't get the files, most are backed up. I just wanted to get the ones i could in case i missed some backups.

It keeps telling me it "now safe to turn off your computer" but i'm afraid it won't start again if i do.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
now safe to turn off your computer

sounds like the shutdown process was initiated on that computer. You may not have any choice but to reboot.

In cases like this, I usually pull the hard drive out and pop it in another PC as a secondary drive and try and pull the files off that way. If the HD hasn't completely died, it's usually successful, your mileage may vary. It's faster than over the network.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I had to reboot it this morning & when i did it automaticly ran scandisk before it ever rebooted. Finally restarted & have been trying to run scandisk all morning now but kept having problems completing it. Finding bad sectors. So it probably isn't completely dead.

Looks like i'm at the point now i probably will have to try rebooting(shut it down).

/crosses fingers

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I think i may have lost it... can't get it to restart :brokenheart:

It was an old HD, out of my 1st computer... about 6 years old. RIP buddy
rose.gif

Maybe my nephew could take a look.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Looks like a HD recommendation thread now.

Maybe it's an omen to upgrade the whole thing... retire the XP1800 & all.

/tries to look on brightside

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Before you give up the ghost, pull the HD out, and put it in another PC as a secondary drive. You might be able to recover the files you want then.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Coquito
Does the freezer trick still work these days?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It didn't work for me when I was trying to pull data off of my wife's crashed hd. Others have had success with it however.... But then again, at that point, it doesn't really matter anyway, so it never hurts to try.

Silverthorne

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Originally posted by: Coquito
Does the freezer trick still work these days?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It didn't work for me when I was trying to pull data off of my wife's crashed hd. Others have had success with it however.... But then again, at that point, it doesn't really matter anyway, so it never hurts to try.

I'm you're going to try this make sure and put it in a good ziplock bag.