OT: Hello, TeAm-mates, a short message from the missing petrusbroder!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
A belated Happy New Year to all of you.

I really hope that you are all well, in good shape (have the hangovers passed?) and with a lot of good hopes and expactions for the year 2007.

Please forgive me all the spelling errors, I am writing this on a keyboard I am not used too at all.

I am just now in the township of Cobar, in New South Wales, Australia, The Outback. We (my kids and I) are enjoying our trip tremendously and are happy as one could be. :) :D

As you have not seen me for sime time, here is a short summary of my trip from December 10 until today:

Dec. 10: Flight from Stockholm to Vienna to Kuala Lumpur to Sydney
Dec. 11 - Dec. 14: Sydney: A great city - so much to see. Especially the Sydney Aquarium, some good pubs ;) the Harbour Bridge, the Aussies (they are such great, polite, friendy people) - we enjoyed this very much.
Dec. 14: Flight from Sydney to Hervey Bay and from there to Lady Elliot Island (from now on LEI) - the most southern island of the Great Barrier Reef
Dec 14 - Dec. 26: Diving, snorkling, birdwatching, swimming in the ocean around LEI: this was just phantastic: I haver seen Manta Rays feeding, touched them, been diving with dolphins, sting rays, reef-sharks, all the small fishes you can imagine (I have noted some 55 different kinds) seen coralls of many colors, sea-cucumbers (beche-de-mer) and what-not. And I have pics too! LEI is reputed to be one of the absolutely best diving places - and it is! The food was great, the staff just super, the arrangements worked perfectly, "no probs, mate!", the kids were more in the water then outside and no accidents, no hurts, no stingers. We watched loggerhead-turtles dig the egg-holes, and we have seen the very first of the freshly hatched turles make the dash to the ocean (as you all understand we came late in the egg-laying-season and early in the hatching season). This was the best thing I have done.
Christmas: a great celebration in LEI: with some 29 degrees C, clear weather, a santa who came out in a boat and who dived with us. All were very happy.
Dec. 26: Flight to Hervey Bay, one day there
Dec. 27: Flight to Syeney, pick up of out 4WD for a dash to the outback, drive to the Blue Mountain National Park
Dec. 28: Blue Mountain National Park: small excursions (2 - 3 hours long) and then
to the Jenolan Caves, which are just marvelous! We went into four of the caves, one of them was 56 m high, and there we saw all the different formations: stalagmites, stalatites, columns, shoals, curtains and what-not. I had some trouble to persuade the kids to leave the place --- but we wanted to go to the outback to see some of the emus, kangeroos and much more.
Dec. 29: Driving day: from the Blue Mountains to ...
Dec. 30: Mungo National Park (which is part of a World Heritage Area): this is a really wonderful Place: the aboriginees have held religous ceremonies here for the passed 20 000 years (yepp, that is correct; the first recorded and dated cremations was found here), the traditions and archeologic finds seem to correspond to each other - so this place is somewhat older ;) then the pyramids in Egypt (which are about 4 000 - 5 000 yeras old, but also very impressive). We saw kangeroos and many other animals all running free (my youngest was the best animal spotter in the car).
Dec. 31: Broken Hill - a very outback mining town where the streets are named after mineras, metalls, ores and such. Very friendly place, but very macho, Australian. We celebrated a great New Year's eve and moved on to Cobar on
January 1, 2007.

The plans are not firm. We are moving north to Queensland to se some national parks, then to Surfers Paradise (there are three amusement parkjs, with some of the best roller coasters there and we will be back in Sydney January 11, and back in Sweden January 13.

As you all can see, we are having the time of our lives.

The only problem: LEI does not have an internet connection, the internet cafés were all closed due to the Holyday Season and this is the first Motell which has a very decent internet connection. But - considering all - I can live without the 'net for a couple of weeks, the withdrawal was not too bad --- just a little bit painful.

I wish you all the best of the best and I'll be in touch around January 14 - 15 or so. ;)

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
You and your family are definitely having a great time. Jealous! :p

My wife and I spent a month in Australia, New Zealand, and the Fiji Islands approximately 10 years or so ago. I wish I would have been able to visit when I was younger and able to do more of the activities you have experienced. Thank you for sharing your travels with us. Reading your escapades has brought on a big smile from this TeAm mate. :)

Happy New Year to you and to all my friends here on AnandTech! :wine:

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
It's still the 1st around here, but a glass of water with every drink really helps.

Amazing experience. Eat a 'roo burger for me. :p

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Hi TeAm-mates.
All is well here in Brisbane. I am sitting with a nice VB at the computer and enjoying life (VB = Victoria Bitter, one of the better brews here in Oz, although I miss some of the really dark beers from GB!)

I hope all is well with you.

We have started the count down for the return trip :( and :) , the kids are longing for home after 4 weeks of travelling in Australia.

During the passed days we have visited Carnaveron National Park - a place which is - IMHO - one of the places one must see in Oz. Tomorrow Lamington National Park, a rain forrest, then one or two of the amusement parks at the Gold Coast - we will se which and when!

Take care, crunch well, get some more points for the TeAm! :beer: :) :thumbsup:

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Beer is not quite the pastime down under as elsewhere, but there are still some hidden treats if you can find them. I have no idea how difficult is is to find these, but they're somewhere to be sure. Again, I haven't had ANY of these yet, but they receive decent reviews, even though the toilets swallow backwards. :p Do try most anything from Cooper's that isn't mass produced, basically anything not a lager. Those I can attest to being tasty.

Southwark Old Stout
Old Australia Stout
James Squire Australian Best Ale
James Squire Rum Rebellion Porter
Grand Ridge Black & Tan
Grand Ridge Hat Lifter Stout
Rooftop Red Lager
Sheaf Stout
Carlton Black
Toohey's Old

Find a Guinness Extra Stout over there & check the alcohol. If it's 7.5% or higher, you've hit gold. Everyone wants some over here. Such a rare commodity. :)

Hey look, more places to see. :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Hi TeAm-mates!
Just came back - feels good to be back home.

I had restarted and done all the software updates on all my 20 comps three days before I left.
When I came back 4 comps were not running - one has a bad HDD (backup is OK, lost only some WUs), the others for unknown causes.
All seems OK when I restarted the comps. I lost some 18% of my output during the last week ... :(
OTOH: I find it great, that 16 comps worked with DC 24/7 for 5 weeks without any interaction with me. :D
The 4 comps which crashed worked OK for more than 3 weeks ... :)