OT: Do you trust CERN's Large Hadron Collider

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
Do you trust the LHC to be a safe or will it rip the fabric of time space and kill us all :)

After all they're not just tweaking a motherboard here they are shooting protons trying to create black holes, anti matter and looking for the God Particle ect...

GENEVA (AP) -- The world's biggest particle collider will start up next May, six months behind schedule. The Large Hadron Collider, eagerly awaited by scientists hoping it will reveal new secrets about the makeup of matter, will be inaugurated without the low-energy run that had been planned for November, said officials. ''We'll be starting up for physics in May 2008, as always foreseen, and will commission the machine to full energy in one go,'' said project leader Lyn Evans.

According to one scenario tiny black holes could be produced which hopefully would decay into what is known as Hawking radiation (the tinier the black hole, the faster it evaporates). If these black holes fail to decay, however, the consequences could be disastrous. CERN software developer Ran Livneh has expressed some concerns about the project:

This physical realm is unknown, and dangerous phenomena might arise?Any physicist will tell you that there is no way to prove that generated black holes will decay. The consequences of being mistaken are unfathomable. This subject deserves serious unbiased discussion.

---

this is exactly what happened on Praxis which caused damage to Kronos. Where's Gordon Freeman when you need him.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Durr, Dpad is bad, Dpad is bad.

At least Assimilator1 will be sucked in moments before I am. :p

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
lol ,but this has nothing to do with DPAD :p ,wrong project ,you mean LHC@home.

NicColt
You got a link about that? ,so far it just appears like scare-mongering :p

Btw I don't think Gordan ever visted the Klingon empire;)

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Dpad isn't designing a particle accelerator too? :confused:

How many times have we had this conversation?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yes but the experiment isn't planning to create mini blacks holes AFAIK (unlike LHC) ,I guess you forgot that from the last time I told ya;) (at least I think it was you:eek:)

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Coquito

Doesn't it take like a million years to get past the Event Horizon?

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: GLeeM

You took all the fun out of it Gleem. :(

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004

Not really! I think it is only like a million years to someone on the outside and normal time for the person at the Event Horizon. But then wouldn't the tidal forces at the Event Horizon be so great that you would only be a smear a couple of atoms thick? Or does all this depend on the size of the Hole? If it was a small one it could go through you and you would not even notice? Well I don't really understand Black Holes.

Even wonder what happens to all the heat? It can't radiate away. Does it just get hotter and hotter? Seems like something would have to give/happen :confused:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999

Not really! I think it is only like a million years to someone on the outside and normal time for the person at the Event Horizon. But then wouldn't the tidal forces at the Event Horizon be so great that you would only be a smear a couple of atoms thick? Or does all this depend on the size of the Hole? If it was a small one it could go through you and you would not even notice? Well I don't really understand Black Holes.

Even wonder what happens to all the heat? It can't radiate away. Does it just get hotter and hotter? Seems like something would have to give/happen :confused:
They emit massive bursts of X-rays on occasions (no idea if it's regular or not)