OT Coversation: What games you regret buying?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
NFS Porsche Challenge. Driving game, where the driving was absolute shit.

Summoner 1.
I had a habit of buying $3 ps2 games out of the cheapo bin at Gamestop, because "they gotta be worth a day's worth of fun".
I had found Summoner 2 which was a very long, content-heavy rpg that i really enjoyed, so when i saw Summoner 1 i thought yumm yumm, more of the same please. Never had i been more wrong.
The most boring, tedious, bland game ever.
Fun fact: this is the game that has that after credits sequence of monsters playing dnd:
Only fun thing in this horrible 30-hour grind.

Hmm, that's actually a bit from the Dead Ale Wives, and it's their actual recording of the bit. I hope they got credit and some cash for that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Probably Spore. The first and only Sid Meyer game I ever played that I found boring.

Spore isn't Cid Meyer, right? It's they guy that did Sim City and the Sim games...Will something or other. Cid Meyer is Civilization.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Total Annihilation Kingdoms.
Total A was best RTS ever IMO.
Kingdoms was garbage.

Cities XL was promised to be grande epic city builder, but, it was just so crap

Duke Nukem 4, last game I ever pre-ordered.

ok then

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I remember my disappointment when we fired pacman on the atari 2600 for the first time...that was just plain terrible even back in the 80's.
Yea, pacman was pretty lame. All the games required a bit of imagination to have fun, but pacman was on a whole different level. It was due to constraints of the system. Something about only having a limited number of things that can move at one time, so they had those stupid translucent ghosts. The sounds were terribad too.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Have regrets in life, but buying games is so low on the list that I'm having a hard time naming one. Played plenty of bad or not exciting games, but a lot of that was in the NES area where you could actually return games. Once that went away, I became a little more selective. The real regret, is not getting a chance to play some games over time that became classics.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I regret buying world of warcraft and playing it for 12 years straight.

I stopped going to forums and raided non-stop. The game is a piece of shit now and haven't even bought the latest expansion.

I also regret E.T on the atari..me and some buds back in the day stole the cartridge and got caught. Got finger printed and everything at the local cop station.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Yeah, you're right. Spore was a Will Wright game, not a Sid Meyer one.

Spore isn't Cid Meyer, right? It's they guy that did Sim City and the Sim games...Will something or other. Cid Meyer is Civilization.

Holy cow Sid Meier is a gaming god how can you guys butcher his name so badly! :p

For me it’s:
There Are Billions. Wtf did I buy?
FTL. Grind fest!
Sunless Sea. Grinding text walls.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I don't remember what they were, but my last humble bundle purchase. All but one required steam. I unsubscribed to their email, and I won't buy again. Fuck steam.
Steam has a cult following. You are a refreshing breathe.
Steam is fine and all but everytime a new digital game store comes out, the whole Internet goes on a bitch fest because OMG, why can't everything be on Steam? I think gamers are now starting to straighten out their panties a month after the last world ending disaster happened, the Epic store.

As for the question, I realized a long time ago that I only like very few games so I do not buy a ton of them. When the OG Xbox was out, I used to buy a lot of games day one because this group of online friends used to play them. I'd spend $50 and end up only playing them for a week.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Back in the beginning, all of their bundles were DRM free. I think most of their main ones (i.e. the numbered Humble Indie Bundle <x>) are still DRM free, but I really wish they offered DRM free as much as possible.

They'd be out of games to offer unless you want all indie nothing games.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I regret buying dayz standalone but honestly it barely registers on my list of regrets. No games do.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
One that really sticks out is Superman for the NES. I got one new game per year for my birthday, and picked that.
I was not yet wise to the ways of licensed games. I spent time ruing that day, let me tell you (this was also before game rental was common).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Total Annihilation Kingdoms.
Total A was best RTS ever IMO.
Kingdoms was garbage.

Cities XL was promised to be grande epic city builder, but, it was just so crap

Duke Nukem 4, last game I ever pre-ordered.

I agree with this list 100%

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
What was it about MK64 you didn't like? I played the crap out of that in high school.
The game was way too easy to get good at and master. It had absolutely no challenge to it and very little skill needed to be great at it. I was bored with it in like 2 days after having nothing else to do in it. The SNES one is lightyears ahead of that shitty game.

Feb 25, 2011
The game was way too easy to get good at and master. It had absolutely no challenge to it and very little skill needed to be great at it. I was bored with it in like 2 days after having nothing else to do in it. The SNES one is lightyears ahead of that shitty game.
The appeal of most Nintendo multiplayer games is that they're easy; the goal is not to "master" something, the goal is to play them with other people while drinking.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
IDK, even my teenager thinks Mario Kart 64 was weaksauce because it was too easy.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The appeal of most Nintendo multiplayer games is that they're easy; the goal is not to "master" something, the goal is to play them with other people while drinking.
The appeal NOW is that way, for most games, because no one wants a challenge. That's why I don't like Mario Kart since SNES they just get easier and easier. The only exception to that was the 3DS one because snaking actually took some skill to do.