OT: as usual I have a computer problem that's not being answered in the "appropriate" category so I'm coming here.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I've asked over in "Video" but am drawing a blank stare.
Here is the thread:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=31&threadid=1558652&enterthread=y

& quoting here to make things easier...

I have a projector that's capable of both analog & digital input, (optoma H31)
It's connected via DVI-I cable to my HTPC with an Nvidia 5900 to the DVI port.

In advanced display properties under "Nview Display Settings" it lists two choices.
When the display properties "detect displays" button is pushed it sees the H31 as "Analog Display" so I have two to choose from in my list,
"Hitachi CM 752"
and
"Analog Display"

Is it possible to get this thing to detect my PJ as a digital device or to get the 5900 to output digital somehow?

When I push the button on the H31 for DVI-D it says "No Signal", then the button for DVI-A and I get my desktop. I'd like to output digital to the PJ.

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
Hey Wiz,

Is the projector looking for a HDMI signal, in other wards the DVI Television spec vs the DVI computer spec? HDTV's have this problem.

Not sure though. Only thing I could think of.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Thanks MedicBob,
The PJ will accept a lot of different signals, for instance I have HDTV feeding into it via component @ 1080i.
It can run on vga output via standard vga cable with an adapter, it can run on analog over DVI-A and it can run on digital over DVI-D.
I got a DVI-I cable which is supposed to handle analog and digital.
It seems that some people see a digital output choice in their Nvidia display properties advanced properties sheet.
Mine is only being recognized as an analog display - very generic.
Clicking "detect displays" does not help as it won't kick start into digital mode.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Topic Summary: (Where all the truly smart people hang out)

Well, in my case, it's only because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :p

The Reaper

Oct 25, 1999
Have you tried different nVidia drivers? I believe that I read about something similar at Guru3D.com. Some of the newer drivers are giving people trouble with the video out outputs. Also read the Read Me notes, nvidia lists any known problems with that driver set.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Thanks, I've tried 71.20 and 71.84 so far. No difference.

There's got to be some kind of registry setting or something that turns on the digital (flat panel, LCD) monitor part of the display properties interface.

Hellburner

Senior Member <br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't know the relevance, but have you told the computer what you're sending the signal to?

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
One guy over at AVS forums said his recognized the PJ and fed it digital but he is using a Radeon card not Nvidia. I can't get it to recognize anything digital at all.

Currently I am thinking I will need to get a different cable, one that does digital only & try that.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Is there a display inf file for your projector? I've never done this for a projector, but if you have the inf file you can add it as a display type.

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
Try it on another computer, to see if its the projector/cable or the actual card thats causing the problem

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
CheesePoofs, so for some reason you think I might have another computer close by eh?

Where would you get such an idea?? ;)

In fact, I have two other machines sitting closer to the PJ than the main rig. :D
I'll see about trying that tomorrow!

BadThad - not that I know of, but I will ask.