OT - 2003 Server and Pop mail

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
It has been a LONG day, and I have done a small search, but figured I would look here for an easy way to get info.

Does anyone have some links that they can post to help me set up server 2003 as a pop mail server. But can you also answer if it will do what I am wanting. This is for my home to start, but also a friends small business if I can get it to work.

Home - I have 3 domains, none are hosted locally, all have numerous pop mail accounts. I use Outlook 2003. Now what is going on is that I have 5 computers in the house that I use often depending where I am at. I can share the outlook data directory, but if I have outlook open on a system I am stuck with TS into it, and sometime that is not an option if my wife is on the computer. If I set up the server for pop mail, can it be used sort of like exchange and allow me to access that file regardless of where I am at and also let me in even if another system has outlook up?

Friends Business - Basically the same as my house. He wants to be able to move back and forth between 2-3 pc's and always have access to his e-amil and not have to worry about closing outlook each time.

Thanks for any help to lead me in the right direction.

Zbox

Aug 29, 2003
you would need to set something up like an IMAP server configured with remote accounts (merak/visnetic works great for this sort of thing) to collect the mail from the external pop3 servers

then internally configure your outlook clients to look to the local IMAP server...