OSX 10.7.4 Won't Connect to PC Server Share

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Hi Friends:

I have a Win 7 PC server that can share files with the 3 other PCs.

I'm trying to get my OS X 10.7.4 to connect to the server. In Finder, I can see all the PCs on the network listed (including the Win PC Server), but when I click on the server, it says "connection failed".

I've tried connecting manually through the "Connect to Server" function in Finder with SMB, but I get the same connection failure as well.

Thoughts appreciated.

dave49er

Jun 29, 2007
Do you have a user and password set up on your Win 7 PC server that is the same as what is logged on in your Mac?

When you get the connection failed message, is there a thing you can click on that says "Connect As..." If so, do that and use the same user name and password that you use to log in to your Win PC.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Do you have a user and password set up on your Win 7 PC server that is the same as what is logged on in your Mac?

When you get the connection failed message, is there a thing you can click on that says "Connect As..." If so, do that and use the same user name and password that you use to log in to your Win PC.

No, the L/P for the Win 7 PC server is different than the Mac login.

When I click "Connect As", I get this error message:

"There was a problem connecting to ABC server. ..... Check the server name and IP address . . . ."

Thanks.

UPDATE 1: Turned off firewall on server and created a Guest share account, still no go.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
When you use the connect as function, are you just typing in the server name/IP? Or are you specifying SMB? (they sometimes default to AppleShare if you don't.)

SMB://server-ip

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I tried both the server ip and the share.

I've connected a Win 7 laptop via wired ethernet, and it can browse the server files (it can print as well; that's another issue). However, the Win 7 laptop cannot browse the server files or print when on the wireless network.

On the wired network, the Macbook sees the server, but has a failed connection. Also, will not even connect to printer to set up.

I can ping wirelessly, but can't connect.