Osiris New Dawn got a big patch and is now playable again.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
One of the patches earlier this year screwed up a lot of gameplay and made some users give up for a while.
Latest patch added a bunch of features and also made the starting steps a bit easier. They also added a LOT of difficulty sliders for every aspect of the game making customizable to the point of ridiculousness.
Game is still far from complete but they are making progress. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to survive and craft on a desolate moon and also was not impressed with You-Know-What.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/402710/Osiris_New_Dawn/

Osiris-2.jpg

Reactions: TechBoyJK

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
i briefly tried the game a few months ago but got kind of bored of it almost instantly. guess it doesn't hurt to try again though, I didn't think it was bad by any means just didn't really grab me. can't make the comparison to NMS though as I've never actually played that one

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, its a survival game, which means a sort of desperate struggle at the beginning and lots of grinding for resources at various points.
Not everyone likes that.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Its very pretty, even with the advanced settings turned down.

But mostly you just get eaten.

lol

Was just watching the videos again on the PC instead of phone and it looks really good, pretty believable structures and environment. Would make a hell of a Mars sim game.

I might bite, but Steam says the recent reviews are mixed.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
lol

Was just watching the videos again on the PC instead of phone and it looks really good, pretty believable structures and environment. Would make a hell of a Mars sim game.

I might bite, but Steam says the recent reviews are mixed.

Yeah i wanted to like this game but the steam reviews put me off. Maybe ill pick it up anyways, it does look nice.

Reactions: paperfist

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Yeah i wanted to like this game but the steam reviews put me off. Maybe ill pick it up anyways, it does look nice.

I've come to learn though that sadly like Amazon reviews, Steam reviews are either gold nuggets (minority) or ones that begs the question (majority): is this the same damn product/game I purchased that you purchased and reviewed?!?!

Plus Early Access. hmm. It's cool that you can get games 'cheaper', but is it worth playing half finished stuff and being someone's bug tester? Sometimes it's futile and you come to not want to play the game anymore even when it's done.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I've come to learn though that sadly like Amazon reviews, Steam reviews are either gold nuggets (minority) or ones that begs the question (majority): is this the same damn product/game I purchased that you purchased and reviewed?!?!

Plus Early Access. hmm. It's cool that you can get games 'cheaper', but is it worth playing half finished stuff and being someone's bug tester? Sometimes it's futile and you come to not want to play the game anymore even when it's done.
I'm willing to give a look on a few EA games, but never anything even remotely resembling a 'survival/sandbox' one. Steam EA is littered with the corpses of survival/sandbox games. Those get a wishlist, sometimes, otherwise outright pass until I see a release.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Only two of mine have finally been released, Long Dark and Reign of Kings.
Reign of Kings turned out to be utter crap, and Long Dark was good but not worth the wait.

Subnautica MAY get finished soon, but no guarantee.
Osiris is a long way off.
GRAV is probably dead.
Empyrion is wandering aimlessly.
ARK was totally unimpressive and I wish I hadnt spent the money.
Terratech is OK but making very slow progress.

Sometimes I wish I had just stuck with consoles.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I ran my mouth and looked stupid, yet again.

Terratech and Subnautica JUST got big updates. I need to not be so cynical.
Don't stop being cynical, that's the only way the universe knows you're unhappy and changes things to avoid annoying you further.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Only two of mine have finally been released, Long Dark and Reign of Kings.
Reign of Kings turned out to be utter crap, and Long Dark was good but not worth the wait.

Subnautica MAY get finished soon, but no guarantee.
Osiris is a long way off.
GRAV is probably dead.
Empyrion is wandering aimlessly.
ARK was totally unimpressive and I wish I hadnt spent the money.
Terratech is OK but making very slow progress.

Sometimes I wish I had just stuck with consoles.

Yea, this one is on my watch list, but I've been waiting for a good sale before checking it out.

As for Empyrion, I'm actually pretty pleased with the progress they've made since I first ran across it.
They're up to Alpha 6.7 and are working on 7.0, which looks to have some really nice visual upgrades (looks pretty good as it is).

I would expect a new upgrade in the next couple of weeks, and of course I'll likely post something if I see it :)

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Yea, this one is on my watch list, but I've been waiting for a good sale before checking it out.

As for Empyrion, I'm actually pretty pleased with the progress they've made since I first ran across it.
They're up to Alpha 6.7 and are working on 7.0, which looks to have some really nice visual upgrades (looks pretty good as it is).

I would expect a new upgrade in the next couple of weeks, and of course I'll likely post something if I see it :)

Wow Empyrion looks good too. Pretty amazing what these (assuming) small studios can build now. Even some of the 1 team operations are pretty stunning.

Makes me want to learn how to use Unity :)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP!

Yet another huge update. They added the old map back, and its to the side of the current map. Meaning with a vehicle you can go between the two of them. Works pretty well actually.
And you can also make the robots again. And set them to chores, and upgrade their skills, and if you lose one, you can teleport it back to you.

It looks like they are serious about making progress in Osiris. I am sorry I was so critical with them before.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Do you not drive a big-ass mecha

And do others drive other big-ass mecha

And do they occasionally bonk! or zapp!! each other

If you answer Yes to all three, it's Mechwarrior.
And if not, then it's like a cross between a Mechwarrior/managerial/basebuilding, but without the fun stuff.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Bump again.
Looks like the closed Beta is wrapping up and they are getting serious about a proper release. Having said that, in over 3 years they have made very few improvements and the game looks and plays pretty much the same as it did way back then.
You run around, bash rocks, make rooms, build vehicles, and explore a little more. But there really isnt that much to explore. And a lot of the terrain looks & feels similar. Also I don't know what the story or end game is.
Its not as polished as Subnautica, but if you like the idea of aimlessly exploring a red planet, this is for you. But if you dont own it already I recommend you wait for the official release and pass on Early Access. There just isnt much here yet.