Oscar thread. Academy Awards

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
has bill ever won? he looked pissed.
Apparently it's true!

Rumors of Bill Murray's anger at losing to Sean Penn for Best Actor at Sunday's Academy Awards have been confirmed. According to British newspaper The Sun, Murray shouted at organizers, "If I knew this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bothered coming."

Prior to the Oscars, the award season had been good to the 53-year-old Lost In Translation star, causing him to attend ceremonies he normally skips out of dislike for the entire awards process. Murray failed to appear at London's BAFTAs last month to snatch up the award for Best Actor, but apparently had high hopes for a win with the Academy that were dashed the minute Nicole Kidman announced "The Oscar goes to Sean Penn."

According to IMDB.com, the comedian has said, "Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one. It's a really unattractive sight to see an actor or actress who really wants an Oscar. And you often see it on the show - you see their faces and the desperation is so ugly."
http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/0303murray.html

The rumor has it that both Penn and Murray have shown a disdain for the Oscars and other awards programs, so it was difficult to guess if either would end up with a win (since the academy loves having their salad tossed). I don't know which one was worse in terms of snubbing awards programs. I think it is somewhat ironic that Bill displayed some "ugliness" on his face after not winning, but it might be because he saw the whole thing as a waste of his time.