OS for ASUS Eee PC 900HA

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I have an old ASUS Eee PC 900HA that is running XP, but it just seems like it is starting to slow down. So, I though about just reinstalling XP, but then I thought I wonder if their is a better OS for it now. How do Ubuntu, Win 8, X86 Android run on the old Eee PC's. Would either of them be faster than XP? This is mainly just an email and web surfing machine. It does have to support flash websites and open up the occasionally word document or excel file.

cl-scott

ASUS Support
Jul 5, 2012
If you want Flash, then Android is out of the question. Windows 8 has more or less the same requirements as Windows 7, and while it is said to run better on older hardware than Win 7, you'd probably be pushing it with this unit.

Ubuntu might work, or you could even consider a somewhat lighter weight variant on Ubuntu like Mint.

I'd just make sure something like OpenOffice or LibreOffice works with the Office files you want to open, otherwise this could all be an academic discussion.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
To bad flash doesn't work in X86 Android. I figured that would run pretty fast and be the best choice. The Eee PC may be slow, but it is still pretty fast compared to a phone or tablet. But, I don't know if I can live without flash. To many websites use it.

The office files would just be random ones people might email me. Nothing to complex. I use openoffice on all my pc's and have never had a problem.

sunilx

Apr 6, 2005
Have a look at these

http://www.haiku-os.org/

Haiku is a new open-source operating system that specifically targets personal computing. Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku is fast, simple to use, easy to learn and yet very powerful.

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/lime.php

ChromiumOS is a lightweight, lightning-fast operating system for your netbook, laptop or even desktop. With the familiar environment of Chromium/Chrome, the entire web is at your fingertips in seconds. HTML5 & Flash are fully supported, allowing you to enjoy the very best that the web has to offer.

I run Hexxeh's Lime OS on that very rig booting from a 4GB SDHC card.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Thanks I forgot about Chrome OS. How do you like it? In problems with install or usage? Can you install it on the HD instead of a SDHC? Or, is the SDHC faster?

sunilx

Apr 6, 2005
Be careful with Hexxeh's versions of Chrome OS (named Lime). Some appear to be buggy. A good one is the archived 12 March 2012 version. I haven't used "Vanilla" ChromeOS.

My little Asus only has a Phison (I think) 4GB "SSD drive" & came with Nettop version of Ubuntu 10.1. Slow as molasses. I found booting off the card just as "fast', so I left Ubuntu on the hard drive as an alternative. Once booted Hexxeh's version of ChromeOS was remarkably fast on this otherwise extremely slow rig.

Haven't actually tried Haiku, looks interesting though.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
How does Chrome OS handle multiple gmail accounts? It seems you login with your gmail account. But once logged in can you check other gmail accounts or do you have to log in and back out?

sunilx

Apr 6, 2005
Dunno. I don't have a gmail account. Hexxeh's version of ChromeOS didn't require it.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Some other things to consider, replacing the 1GB SODIMM with a 2GB SODIMM and replacing the 160GB drive with an SSD. If you haven't already.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Thought about bumping the ram to 2gig and getting a small SSD. Although if I use something light weight like Chrome OS, I may not need to.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
I had an Asus 900A. I bumped it up to 2gb ram & dropped a 32gb ssd into it & it ran Windows 7 pro like a pro. It even allowed for Aero to be turned on. I recently sold it, but the thing ran Windows 7 fine.
The 900HA will have no problems running Win7 either. I would definitely get 2gb ram, though.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I had an Asus 900A. I bumped it up to 2gb ram & dropped a 32gb ssd into it & it ran Windows 7 pro like a pro. It even allowed for Aero to be turned on. I recently sold it, but the thing ran Windows 7 fine.
The 900HA will have no problems running Win7 either. I would definitely get 2gb ram, though.

Agreed. I upped the RAM, but not the hard drive, and it ran Win7 just fine.

Buddyd

Apr 1, 2009
I also put in 2gb of ram and have Lubuntu on by 900HA, it runs fairly well as long as you keep your expectations in check. I am currently using it as a minecraft server for me and my friends it works pretty well up to around 10 people on at a time and as long as they are not more than a couple hundred blocks apart.