• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Original Quake problems. Would you still enjoy this old game?

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
I just installed Quake 1 and have some problems with it. The keyboard movements have a lag to them. When I want to go left or right it takes a split second to go and when I want to stop, it takes a split second to stop after I let up the key. The mouse movements to look left or right don't work when I am moving. I can't turn using the mouse and keyboard at the same time.
I haven't played this game since it first came out and it still looks like a lot of fun.
The graphics suck (comparably) but the game play still seems enjoyable. This game has the best music I remember than any other game in a while. Anybody else played this game recently and still like it?
I have been replaying older games lately and still enjoy them, even better than newer ones. My first PC was an Aptiva with a 486 and 4 megs of ram in 1995 and remember the late nights playing Doom. I also remember a cover story on Time Magazine (correct me if I am wrong) that Quake could not run at maximum settings with the latest computer equipment. Remind you of another current game? I haven't had that great "feeling" again of playing PC games in a long while. Any of you old timers feel the same? I think my enjoyment of PC computing is not as fun as it was back then. With Nvidia dragging its feet on a new generation card and the sorry state of games being too short or just plain lousy, I have even lost interest in upgrading. My wife is surprised at that one. Anyway any technical help with Quake would be appreciated.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
no. back then there were tons of great games. now you're lucky to find 1 or 2 great games a year.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
no. back then there were tons of great games. now you're lucky to find 1 or 2 great games a year.
No, I believe that the rate of good games coming out is about the same as it has always been. Back in the day there where TONS of crappy games. Bass fisher 1, games made after disney movies, ect. the thing is, we forget the crap games are remember our beloved Half-life and quake.

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
GLquake?
Ah, yes I remember that. I did not pick the option to install the GL driver during the initial installation.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I loved using the grapple to hang yourself on a dark celing and snipe away.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Never liked Quake even in 1996, or many other iD games at all. There were many great games being made in that era but I don't see why people bring up some of the most regressive and modern-feeling of them all.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Games were better back in those days.

Graphical adventures like Hell. RTS's like Siege and Z. RPG's like Stone Prophet and Elvira 2. Shooters like Doom and Duke 3D. Flight sims from Janes.
Alternative strategies like Dungeon Keeper and SimCity.

And a few years later we would have awesome games like TA: Kingdoms, Baldurs Gate, Deus Ex.

I still like to play the classics once in a while. I also like modern classics (Morrowind, for example).

We still get a handful of decent games coming out, but most of them are just entertaining enough for about 20 hours MAX. More likely you will get 10 hours. Thats a piss-poor value considering how expensive games are these days.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Cogman
Originally posted by: pontifex
No, I believe that the rate of good games coming out is about the same as it has always been. Back in the day there where TONS of crappy games. Bass fisher 1, games made after disney movies, ect. the thing is, we forget the crap games are remember our beloved Half-life and quake.
i disagree. i bought way more games back then and enjoyed all of them. I can't remember ever buying a gamer back then and not liking it and not playing it. I've bought serveral games over the past years that i never finished because i couldn't stand to play them. these days its rare i find a game that i really enjoy. hell, even the games that are hyped up i don't enjoy.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: ricleo2
I just installed Quake 1 and have some problems with it. The keyboard movements have a lag to them. When I want to go left or right it takes a split second to go and when I want to stop, it takes a split second to stop after I let up the key. The mouse movements to look left or right don't work when I am moving. I can't turn using the mouse and keyboard at the same time.
I haven't played this game since it first came out and it still looks like a lot of fun.
The graphics suck (comparably) but the game play still seems enjoyable. This game has the best music I remember than any other game in a while. Anybody else played this game recently and still like it?
I have been replaying older games lately and still enjoy them, even better than newer ones. My first PC was an Aptiva with a 486 and 4 megs of ram in 1995 and remember the late nights playing Doom. I also remember a cover story on Time Magazine (correct me if I am wrong) that Quake could not run at maximum settings with the latest computer equipment. Remind you of another current game? I haven't had that great "feeling" again of playing PC games in a long while. Any of you old timers feel the same? I think my enjoyment of PC computing is not as fun as it was back then. With Nvidia dragging its feet on a new generation card and the sorry state of games being too short or just plain lousy, I have even lost interest in upgrading. My wife is surprised at that one. Anyway any technical help with Quake would be appreciated.
i last had that "feeling" back in '99. that's when i became a n00b at counterstrike :) i just may have that 'feeling" again with Company of Heroes.

I love that feeling. i wish i could bottle it up and take it once a week.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I also lost interest in upgrading. Games these days are just rehashes of the same old stuff. I didn't play Doom when it came out because I was only like 6. But years later I was huge into the online multiplayer port zDaemon. It didn't have good graphics but the gameplay was so much more fast paced and fun. At one point I was ranked 44th out out like 60,000. And my comp sucked so I had to play on 400x300 but it looked perfectly fine to me. Oh and don't even get me started on starcraft.

Oct 9, 1999
quake 2 ftw.

quake 1 was fun on a 28.8 back in the day though.

games just don't pull me in like they used to.

Furor

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2001
Try +mlook 1 and m_filter 1 or mfilter 1
I still remember most of the quake commands after playing so long.

Edit: You have to type them in the console (~/`) key to the left of 1

Oct 25, 2006
While I used to love old games when I was younger, I hate them now. You Know why?

When I replay games from the old times, I realize exactly how much we have progressed in the gaming industry. not instead of simple 8 bit 16 bit graphics, we have games like Crysis that redefine the graphics genre. Its not even graphics. Gameplay wise, when we were young, and played old games, we loved them because there was nothing better to compare things too. We loved the fact that there was no depth to the game besides A and B, and the fact that we were doing the exact same thing 4 billion times.

These days, we have fleshed out story, with lots of gameplay mechanics that change up how we play. I prefer this instead of the old Press A to Shoot mechanic.

I know how CS 1.6 is better that CS Source, but I feel drawn to Source because of its modernity, and the fact that it doesnt look like utter crap.

Games like Half Life are being forgotten for things like HL2, because HL is just too old and its mechanics aging.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
While I used to love old games when I was younger, I hate them now. You Know why?

When I replay games from the old times, I realize exactly how much we have progressed in the gaming industry. not instead of simple 8 bit 16 bit graphics, we have games like Crysis that redefine the graphics genre. Its not even graphics. Gameplay wise, when we were young, and played old games, we loved them because there was nothing better to compare things too. We loved the fact that there was no depth to the game besides A and B, and the fact that we were doing the exact same thing 4 billion times.

These days, we have fleshed out story, with lots of gameplay mechanics that change up how we play. I prefer this instead of the old Press A to Shoot mechanic.

I know how CS 1.6 is better that CS Source, but I feel drawn to Source because of its modernity, and the fact that it doesnt look like utter crap.

Games like Half Life are being forgotten for things like HL2, because HL is just too old and its mechanics aging.
kinda sad u feel that way :(
its your loss that you cant enjoy the old stuff

ASK THE COMMUNITY