Original Half Life Expansions (and other older games)

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Opposing Force and Blue Shift

I've just finished playing through Blue Shift and I have to admit: these expansions are awesome. I've yet to start Opposing Force, but it's on my list of games to finish.

I can't quite place it, but these old games have an ambiance or something about them that just makes them fun to play. I loved the original Half Life (aside from the horrible, horrible ending boss battle) and really have been enjoying these sequels.

Aside from that I've been working my way through Max Payne and am getting the urge to toss Deus Ex into the mix as well (I started this one some time ago and never finished it).

So, what old games really get you going?

As an aside: my "hardcore" computer gaming started with FarCry, so I missed out on a ton of the older "classics" and am working my way back through them as I find time.

Also, cool story bro. :D

AtaruMoroboshi18

Apr 1, 2005
You absolutely HAVE TO find and play System Shock 2. It is one of the greatest FPS of all time, a wonderful story filled with twists, tons of character options, tons of weapons, equipment, and items, fantastic atmosphere, etc. There are a lot of people on here who will vouch for System Shock 2s awesomeness!

Apr 17, 2005
its the atmosphere. HL made you feel so lonely and desperate...thats how they got you to identify with gordon even tho he never said a word.

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
blood series was amazing, it was so long ago, i completely forgot about the fact that I played it once. Wow was amazing,those memories. You have to play Diablo 2 (Its an RPG though). I like opposing force better than Blue shift. Its also much longer as well. You will love it.

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
i have never played system shock 2 or dues ex, have to try it what else to try in FPS or RPG?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Arx Fatalis was an interesting RPG with a lot of different concepts. That said, I needed a walkthrough to get anywhere since it was not obvious what I needed to do much of the time.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I still consider the original Half-Life to be the all-time best story-driven FPS game. I also did enjoy Blue Shift and Opposing Force. I love that in HL2 you get to run into your character from Blue Shift. Opposing Force was almost as good as Half-Life itself. I think Gearbox did a great job on it.

A great older FPS I loved back in the day was Shogo.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Opposing Force was the better expansion, so if you liked Blue Shift that much you should REALLY like OF.