Question Original Apple Remote Question

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I would like to know which (if any) Macs were shipped with the original Apple Remote (the white plastic version).

Links would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MotionMan

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I know that the OG MacBooks and MacBooks Pro shipped with them. I had a first gen white MacBook and it came with the white plastic remote. I had an app called iAlarm that let you use the remote to put your Mac to sleep. It would chirp like a car locking, and if the Sudden Motion Sensor was triggered it would snap a picture with the webcam. It was useful in school since although everyone had a laptop, they kept trying to bogart mine (I had the only Mac in my group for a while).

By the time to switched to unibody they were no longer including the remote, but the IR sensor stuck around for a while. I just picked up a 2012 Mac mini and it has the IR sensor (and I _think_ the 2014 did as well).

Reactions: MotionMan

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I know that the OG MacBooks and MacBooks Pro shipped with them. I had a first gen white MacBook and it came with the white plastic remote. I had an app called iAlarm that let you use the remote to put your Mac to sleep. It would chirp like a car locking, and if the Sudden Motion Sensor was triggered it would snap a picture with the webcam. It was useful in school since although everyone had a laptop, they kept trying to bogart mine (I had the only Mac in my group for a while).

By the time to switched to unibody they were no longer including the remote, but the IR sensor stuck around for a while. I just picked up a 2012 Mac mini and it has the IR sensor (and I _think_ the 2014 did as well).

That is awesome feature! I wish Apple did not removed it from unibody. Very sad!!

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
That is awesome feature! I wish Apple did not removed it from unibody. Very sad!!
They stopped including the remotes in the box when they switched to Unibody I think, but I'm fairly certain the IR sensor was still on the machine. They definitely removed the sensor when they went to the retina models.

Reactions: Rottie