O'Reilly: "I want [a public option]".

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Fox News has a secret mission to gather up America's ignorant in one place and then slowly, very slowly, spoon feed them a little bit of truth at a time, till like frog in a slowly heating pot, they are done and ready to join the intelligent and informed rest of the human race.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Originally posted by: Fern
Contrary to what you see around here O'Reilly is not some uber right-wing neocon conservative.
Like many people he's a bit eclectic in his views. E.g., O'Rielly supports gay marriage.
However from reading posts by lefties here you'd think he was right of Atilla the Hun.
It's the standard tactic of the left, especially seen by example through Phokus, all people to the "right" of themselves are a singular entity with a singular mind. If there are ever two people on "the right" who disagree, that just means the collective "right" is wrong in _all_ of their views.
Bill O'Reilly is Bill O'Reilly. Sean Hannity is Sean Hannity. Rush Limbaugh is Rush Limbaugh. Mark Levin is Mark Levin. I am me. You are you. Phokus is Phokus. Keith Olbermann is Keith Olbermann. Rachel Maddow is Rachel Maddow. They are all individuals with their own differing sets of views and opinions.
But the "progressives" do not view the world this way. They believe Bill O'Reilly _is_ Sean Hannity _is_ Rush Limbaugh _is_ Mark Levin _is_ I and _is_ you.
And hence all the stupidity that gets spewed across AT P&N on a daily basis :p
It doesn't matter to the "progressives" where O'Reilly stands, he is to the right of themselves and thus lumped into their perceived right-wing nut job collective.
Do you realize how ironic your post is?
Your point is 'every person is their own man with their own opinions that can't be lumped into a singular entity'.
You then follow this up by lumping progressives into a singular entity and telling us how they all think this way.
Might want to rethink your hypothesis on this one.
Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity Mike Gallagher and others have built their careers on creating the Liberal Strawman, educating the Enlightened Conservatives on what the Liberal believes, and expounding at length on how the Liberals intend to destroy America, end heterosexual marriage and pollute the precious body fluids of our youth.

You should forgive poor cubby for being too enlightened by his "educators" to have developed the ability to humanize Liberals the way he does Conservatives.
I also think you may be sadly disappointed if you expect him to see any irony in his post. The Cognitive Dissonance is strong in this one...

ohnoes

Oct 11, 2007

Do you realize how ironic your post is?

Your point is 'every person is their own man with their own opinions that can't be lumped into a singular entity'.

You then follow this up by lumping progressives into a singular entity and telling us how they all think this way.

Might want to rethink your hypothesis on this one.

El. Oh. El.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Sacrilege
Lately Fox News has been trending Left, with O'Reilly, Shephard Smith, and their "respectful attitude" toward America's "President," racist dictator Hussein Obama. Thank God for Glenn Beck to keep the network somewhat fair and balanced.
Don't want to lose their ad revenues, I guess.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Sacrilege
Lately Fox News has been trending Left, with O'Reilly, Shephard Smith, and their "respectful attitude" toward America's "President," racist dictator Hussein Obama. Thank God for Glenn Beck to keep the network somewhat fair and balanced.

I believe they picked up Glenn Beck to be a ravenous attack dog that no one takes seriously who is nevertheless popular entertainment.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Contrary to what you see around here O'Reilly is not some uber right-wing neocon conservative.

Like many people he's a bit eclectic in his views. E.g., O'Rielly supports gay marriage.

However from reading posts by lefties here you'd think he was right of Atilla the Hun.

It's the standard tactic of the left, especially seen by example through Phokus, all people to the "right" of themselves are a singular entity with a singular mind. If there are ever two people on "the right" who disagree, that just means the collective "right" is wrong in _all_ of their views.

Oh the irony of this post... :laugh:

0marTheZealot

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: piasabird
Here is my take on Health Care Plan.

You can not have the option to mandatory coverage of pre-existing conditions without the requirement for mandatory enforced insurance coverage. They discussed this concept on CNBC last night. If there is mandatory coverage for preexisting conditions then anyone that gets some kind of catastrophic illness like MS, Parkinsons, Cancer, etc., that gets sick can just wait till they get sick then go get insurance. So they only recourse is to force everyone to have insurance. This means there are a lot of people who at this time have chosen not to pay for insurance because they are spending that money on buying a house, or paying off their school loans. If you force those people to pay for insurance than they will have to stop paying for something else, causing a lot of people to file for bankruptcy.

Manadatory insurance coverage just will not work. It is not financially pheasable without raising taxes 10% on everyone in the nation.

I don't understand how countries like France and Germany can work then. They have an insurance system over there (not UHC like the UK), they manage to cover everyone, provide a high level of care, and keep costs down to a fraction of what the US does.

Are we simply incompetent?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: 0marTheZealot

I don't understand how countries like France and Germany can work then. They have an insurance system over there (not UHC like the UK), they manage to cover everyone, provide a high level of care, and keep costs down to a fraction of what the US does.

It is interesting to watch some people oscillate between: 'AMERICA IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD', but when it comes to health care: 'AMERICA IS HOPELESSLY INCOMPETENT'.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

You can not have the option to mandatory coverage of pre-existing conditions without the requirement for mandatory enforced insurance coverage. They discussed this concept on CNBC last night. If there is mandatory coverage for preexisting conditions then anyone that gets some kind of catastrophic illness like MS, Parkinsons, Cancer, etc., that gets sick can just wait till they get sick then go get insurance. So they only recourse is to force everyone to have insurance. This means there are a lot of people who at this time have chosen not to pay for insurance because they are spending that money on buying a house, or paying off their school loans. If you force those people to pay for insurance than they will have to stop paying for something else, causing a lot of people to file for bankruptcy.

Manadatory insurance coverage just will not work. It is not financially pheasable without raising taxes 10% on everyone in the nation.

No, we have the best health care lobbyists can buy.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

I believe they picked up Glenn Beck to be a ravenous attack dog that no one takes seriously who is nevertheless popular entertainment.

And THAT is a problem. WTF are rational, peaceful, caring human beings supposed to think about people who are "entertained" by the irrational hate, pain, stupidity and inhumanity at the heart of the so called "entertainment" spewed by Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, etc.?

If it entertains them so much, how do they "entertain" themselves when they gather together?

Do they bring weapons? :Q

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

No, your statement is false.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: lupi

Nope, it sure isn't.

xchangx

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer
http://www.dailykos.com/storyo...ealth-insurance-option

O?REILLY: But you know, I want that, Ms. Owcharenko. I want that. I want, not for personally for me, but for working Americans, to have a option, that if they don?t like their health insurance, if it?s too expensive, they can?t afford it, if the government can cobble together a cheaper insurance policy that gives the same benefits, I see that as a plus for the folks.

Wow, ol' Bill making sense here and is favor of the evil Obambacare plan? Has hell frozen over yet?

Can't read the article, so I'm not entirely sure what the dailykos wrote about.

However, he mentioned that he would like to have a pool of low premium options from private insurance companies that the poor can pick and choose which plan they want. He said this after the above quote.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: OCguy
Of course O'Reilly will now be held up as a shining example of intellect by the Left.

Do people still acknowledge OCguy?

Spider?

O'Reilly tries too hard by being a centrist blowhard, so he pisses off both the left and right. Ask any true conservative, most think he's a spiderbag.

Are they like 'real Americans'?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: lupi

I don't understand how countries like France and Germany can work then.
Nope, it sure isn't.
Such detailed and informative debate...

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Bill O'Reilly is Bill O'Reilly. Sean Hannity is Sean Hannity. Rush Limbaugh is Rush Limbaugh. Mark Levin is Mark Levin. I am me. You are you. Phokus is Phokus. Keith Olbermann is Keith Olbermann. Rachel Maddow is Rachel Maddow. They are all individuals with their own differing sets of views and opinions.

But the "progressives" do not view the world this way. They believe Bill O'Reilly _is_ Sean Hannity _is_ Rush Limbaugh _is_ Mark Levin _is_ I and _is_ you.

And hence all the stupidity that gets spewed across AT P&N on a daily basis :p

It doesn't matter to the "progressives" where O'Reilly stands, he is to the right of themselves and thus lumped into their perceived right-wing nut job collective.

Why to lump 'the left' and totally blow your own post out of the water. :thumbsup:

Damn, eskimospy (and others) beat me to it. :eek:

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004

Hogwash! Many people like myself have paid insurance our whole lives and had to make sacrifices to do it. I didn't get a new car or house everytime I wanted one but I certainly didn't go bankrupt either.

The OMG WTF I can't pay for insurance I might have to give up my second Iphone crowd makes me want to puke. If your finances are in such a shape that paying for health insurance will bankrupt you, you probably need to go bankrupt.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy

Hogwash! Many people like myself have paid insurance our whole lives and had to make sacrifices to do it. I didn't get a new car or house everytime I wanted one but I certainly didn't go bankrupt either.

The OMG WTF I can't pay for insurance I might have to give up my second Iphone crowd makes me want to puke. If your finances are in such a shape that paying for health insurance will bankrupt you, you probably need to go bankrupt.

People with preexisting conditions can't get health insurance, regardless of their financial status, except if they're old, very poor, a vet, or employed by a large organization.

And yes, people like that do go bankrupt from medical bills. Do you believe bankruptcy is good for a consumer driven economy?

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Originally posted by: SammyJr
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy

People with preexisting conditions can't get health insurance, regardless of their financial status, except if they're old, very poor, a vet, or employed by a large organization.

And yes, people like that do go bankrupt from medical bills. Do you believe bankruptcy is good for a consumer driven economy?

So whats your point? I think you misinterpreted my post

I believe mandating coverage for everyone is the right thing to do and along with removing exclusions for pre exsisting conditions and payment caps will vastly reduce the amount of medically induced bankruptcies. I DONT believe mandating that everyone have insurance will cause people to go bankrupt from paying premiums, especially with the government sudbsidies proposed for low income Americans

Feb 19, 2001
Well I don't think you should mandate anyone to get insurance, but people need to realize it's like playing with fire. Additionally they need to realize it won't bankrupt them to get insurance. So get with the program. If you want to "save money" by not going with insurance so you can get the next iPhone with a ridiculously expensive plan, then by all means go for it. But for people w/o pre-existing conditions, healthcare is affordable enough.

We DO need to do something about pre-existing conditions. This is reform I think everyone agrees on.