Oregon v. Cal

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Originally posted by: MotionMan
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Originally posted by: AgentEL
Anyone else tired of hearing that SEC guy keep talking about how everyone is laughing at Cal's win? The Pac-10 can laugh at how Arkansas beat #2 Auburn. USC beat down Arkansas in Week 1.

That's why they play the game. And oh yah, in direct competition, my Vols > Your Bears. :p

I dare your Vols to play the bears again.

Why? Tennessee already proved they could beat them down. The game was even worse than the score because 2 of the Cal scores came against the second team and Fulmer then decided to put the starters back in.

This is the story of Cal football lately. They lose one game and then do well. Get back to me when they win a big game (USC perhaps?) and then we can have a discussion about how good they are.

Except in 2002 (3-0), 2004 (3-0) and 2005 (5-0) (i.e. 3 of the last 4 years and 2 of the last 2).

If you knew ANYTHING about Cal football history, you would know that they rip the hearts out of their fans by starting well and losing late, NOT the other way around.

MotionMan

I thought you lost the first game last year as well? And you're right, I live in TN so couldn't care less about the history of Cal football. :p All I know is they got beat down the first week of the season and I'm in a thread with a bunch of Cal fans who say things like 'Cal would win 4 out of 5 against TN'. Give me a break people.

I just did some more research. This is what happens when you start playing top-tier out of conference competition teams as opposed to the likes of 'Sacramento State'. You know what I found when I looked at Cal's record all the way back to 2002? One win vs. a ranked opponent (USC a few years back). It's easy to get your hopes up when you look at a 5-0 but you have to take into account the competition. Look at Georgia before yesterday's game for example.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/cal-m-footbl-sched-2005.html

You came into a thread entitled "Oregon v. Cal" and you are surprised to find Cal fans here? Or were you trolling?

I am not arguing with your contention that Ten. was the better team this year (at least during week one). However, please do get your facts straight before making claims about Cal football. Most Cal fans had to take real classes, get a good score on the SAT and, generally have all their teeth, so you need to present an intelligent, fact-based argument if you are going to take on Cal fans in such a discussion.

;)

MotionMan

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Anyone else tired of hearing that SEC guy keep talking about how everyone is laughing at Cal's win? The Pac-10 can laugh at how Arkansas beat #2 Auburn. USC beat down Arkansas in Week 1.

That's why they play the game. And oh yah, in direct competition, my Vols > Your Bears. :p

I dare your Vols to play the bears again.

Why? Tennessee already proved they could beat them down. The game was even worse than the score because 2 of the Cal scores came against the second team and Fulmer then decided to put the starters back in.

This is the story of Cal football lately. They lose one game and then do well. Get back to me when they win a big game (USC perhaps?) and then we can have a discussion about how good they are.

Except in 2002 (3-0), 2004 (3-0) and 2005 (5-0) (i.e. 3 of the last 4 years and 2 of the last 2).

If you knew ANYTHING about Cal football history, you would know that they rip the hearts out of their fans by starting well and losing late, NOT the other way around.

MotionMan

I thought you lost the first game last year as well? And you're right, I live in TN so couldn't care less about the history of Cal football. :p All I know is they got beat down the first week of the season and I'm in a thread with a bunch of Cal fans who say things like 'Cal would win 4 out of 5 against TN'. Give me a break people.

I just did some more research. This is what happens when you start playing top-tier out of conference competition teams as opposed to the likes of 'Sacramento State'. You know what I found when I looked at Cal's record all the way back to 2002? One win vs. a ranked opponent (USC a few years back). It's easy to get your hopes up when you look at a 5-0 but you have to take into account the competition. Look at Georgia before yesterday's game for example.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/cal-m-footbl-sched-2005.html

You came into a thread entitled "Oregon v. Cal" and you are surprised to find Cal fans here? Or were you trolling?

I am not arguing with your contention that Ten. was the better team this year (at least during week one). However, please do get your facts straight before making claims about Cal football. Most Cal fans had to take real classes, get a good score on the SAT and, generally have all their teeth, so you need to present an intelligent, fact-based argument if you are going to take on Cal fans in such a discussion.

;)

MotionMan

Actually, I came into a discussion expecting to see what Cal fans thought about their win over Oregon and was greeted with a discussion about how Cal could beat Tennessee 4 out of 5 times, SEC sucks, etc. So, here are some facts.

Cal's record since 2004: 23-7

That's not a bad record really. 90% of teams in the NCAA would love to have that kind of winning %.

Cal's record against top 25 since 2004: 1-6

That is why Cal gets no respect outside of the general area of the school. They were prime to be loved by the media this year before the beginning of the season and blew their chance. They get another chance next year when we bring 'Toothless Football' to California.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: manly
Please quit while you're ahead.

I did and I was ahead because I was right about EVERYTHING I said :)
If by right, you mean wrong, then yes you're right again.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Please quit while you're ahead.

I did and I was ahead because I was right about EVERYTHING I said :)
If by right, you mean wrong, then yes you're right again.

I was right that UCLA didn't steal "Sons of Westwood" from Cal.

I was right that UCLA and Cal are seperate campuses that are part of the entire University of California.

I didn't really make any other points and a quick google search will prove me right.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: cheezy321
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: fanerman91
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
go bears!!! the energy was crazy today in memorial stadium!! i got pegged by a few cards too!

Me too!

Hahah yea... always prepare by having a hoodie or grab ur cards and protect your head...

Oregon = OVERRATED.

I'm sick and tired of these SEC idiots. Tennessee had that HORRIBLE game against Air Force. They got lucky since it was Nate's first big game out there. I'm sure if we had a rematch today at Memorial Stadium, it would be a close game.

I agree. If they played five games, cal would win four of them. tennessee got lucky.

I would have to dISAgree