Oregon v. Cal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pupdog5301

Feb 5, 2003
haha yeah, the designs they made with the cards were pretty sweet though

but yeah, it was a great game

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: AgentEL
Anyone else tired of hearing that SEC guy keep talking about how everyone is laughing at Cal's win? The Pac-10 can laugh at how Arkansas beat #2 Auburn. USC beat down Arkansas in Week 1.

That's why they play the game. And oh yah, in direct competition, my Vols > Your Bears. :p

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I haven't seen anyone mention Arizona :p - They played ok. Our backup QB is better than our starter. Our offensive line is god awful. No running game, worse than no running game, Zona has negative rushing yards every game (last year it was something like -63). This team might be worse than they were last year, real disappointing. Taking a step backwards this year for them shouldn't of be an option.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: fanerman91
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
go bears!!! the energy was crazy today in memorial stadium!! i got pegged by a few cards too!

Me too!

Hahah yea... always prepare by having a hoodie or grab ur cards and protect your head...

Oregon = OVERRATED.

Anyone else tired of hearing that SEC guy keep talking about how everyone is laughing at Cal's win? The Pac-10 can laugh at how Arkansas beat #2 Auburn. USC beat down Arkansas in Week 1.

I'm sick and tired of these SEC idiots. Tennessee had that HORRIBLE game against Air Force. They got lucky since it was Nate's first big game out there. I'm sure if we had a rematch today at Memorial Stadium, it would be a close game.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: fanerman91
go bears!!! the energy was crazy today in memorial stadium!! i got pegged by a few cards too!

Me too!

Hahah yea... always prepare by having a hoodie or grab ur cards and protect your head...

Oregon = OVERRATED.

I'm sick and tired of these SEC idiots. Tennessee had that HORRIBLE game against Air Force. They got lucky since it was Nate's first big game out there. I'm sure if we had a rematch today at Memorial Stadium, it would be a close game.

I agree. If they played five games, cal would win four of them. tennessee got lucky.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
I'm not gonna go so far as to say Cal is better than Tennessee or anything close to that. But if they played today instead of several weeks ago, it would be a much closer game.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It seems like Memorial Stadium has never been as crazy as it was yesterday evening?

Originally posted by: b0mbrman
So did the Bears just score?

If so,

<= Hums the UCLA fight song (I forgot how the Cal fight song goes :eek:)
Didn't UCLA steal Cal's fight song and then popularize it?

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: manly
It seems like Memorial Stadium has never been as crazy as it was yesterday evening?

If so,

no kidding!! it was insane! so much energy. big game will be even crazier. too bad i dont have tickets :(.

Feb 19, 2001

If so,

I feel that Memorial Stadium is never really loud. Last week at the Arizona State game, I had to go through bluezone to get to a concession stand my friends worked at.. DAMN. Everyone's sitting down and it's like a picnic. You could hear the student section yelling halfway across the stadium, but it's not that loud. When you're in the student section and it's a crazy 3rd down, yea it gets freaking loud around you, but I don't think the whole stadium itself gets that loud.

Today's attendance certainly helped with over 70,000 and a crowd that stayed through most of the game. It's only big games where you go damn, people can be really loud. The USC game last year showed how loud it could get when like 40% of the attendees were USC fans.

Yes UCLA stole our fight song. Please don't play the same damn songs. I get annoyed when the two teams play and I just hear an echo across the field. They even play the same tune when there's a QB sack. =/

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269

That's why they play the game. And oh yah, in direct competition, my Vols > Your Bears. :p

I dare your Vols to play the bears again.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

If so,

They didn't STEAL it since it's basically the same college. University of California @ Berkely and University of California @ Los Angeles.

Also, UCLA's official fight song was written in 1984. You're thinking of "Son's of Westwood" which both schools play (which UCLA performs much better).

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
You guys think you're so loud @ Cal when it's a known fact that Husky Stadium is the loudest in the Pac-10 :)

The evidence is in the way the camera shakes.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: BlancoNino

If so,

They didn't STEAL it since it's basically the same college. University of California @ Berkely and University of California @ Los Angeles.

Also, UCLA's official fight song was written in 1984. You're thinking of "Son's of Westwood" which both schools play (which UCLA performs much better).
No offense but you're a moron if you think it's the same college. :)

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

If so,

Different campus'...but...they are both part of the U of C.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses/welcome.html

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001

If so,

they are both UC's but they are far from being the same university. everybody would tell you the same.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

If so,

they are both UC's but they are far from being the same university. everybody would tell you the same.

Well I was just trying to explain why they played the same song. It's called "Sons of Westwood". UCLA didn't "steal" it from Cal.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001

If so,

Well I was just trying to explain why they played the same song. It's called "Sons of Westwood". UCLA didn't "steal" it from Cal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Westwood

according to there, cal's version actually came first, and it was ucla that adapted it into 'sons of westwood.' dont ask me to confirm, i dont know this.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

according to there, cal's version actually came first, and it was ucla that adapted it into 'sons of westwood.' dont ask me to confirm, i dont know this.

cool.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

If so,

Please quit while you're ahead.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

Why? Tennessee already proved they could beat them down. The game was even worse than the score because 2 of the Cal scores came against the second team and Fulmer then decided to put the starters back in.

This is the story of Cal football lately. They lose one game and then do well. Get back to me when they win a big game (USC perhaps?) and then we can have a discussion about how good they are.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006

Why? Tennessee already proved they could beat them down. The game was even worse than the score because 2 of the Cal scores came against the second team and Fulmer then decided to put the starters back in.

This is the story of Cal football lately. They lose one game and then do well. Get back to me when they win a big game (USC perhaps?) and then we can have a discussion about how good they are.

Except in 2002 (3-0), 2004 (3-0) and 2005 (5-0) (i.e. 3 of the last 4 years and 2 of the last 2).

If you knew ANYTHING about Cal football history, you would know that they rip the hearts out of their fans by starting well and losing late, NOT the other way around.

MotionMan

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: MotionMan

Except in 2002 (3-0), 2004 (3-0) and 2005 (5-0) (i.e. 3 of the last 4 years and 2 of the last 2).

If you knew ANYTHING about Cal football history, you would know that they rip the hearts out of their fans by starting well and losing late, NOT the other way around.

MotionMan

I thought you lost the first game last year as well? And you're right, I live in TN so couldn't care less about the history of Cal football. :p All I know is they got beat down the first week of the season and I'm in a thread with a bunch of Cal fans who say things like 'Cal would win 4 out of 5 against TN'. Give me a break people.

I just did some more research. This is what happens when you start playing top-tier out of conference competition teams as opposed to the likes of 'Sacramento State'. You know what I found when I looked at Cal's record all the way back to 2002? One win vs. a ranked opponent (USC a few years back). It's easy to get your hopes up when you look at a 5-0 but you have to take into account the competition. Look at Georgia before yesterday's game for example.