Orange Box First Impressions!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Regs
Ok..maybe I'll pick up orange box sometime tonight...bastids.

Yessss, join ussss, you know you want to....:p

KT

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Played through all of Episode 1 and Episode 2 this weekend, and I have to say...it was easily one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences of my life. And probably THE MOST enjoyable. I just said the same thing about Bioshock, but playing through Episodes 1 and 2 was somehow an even more enjoyable experience than that...which I didn't believe was possible.

The "Run of the Armaments" or whatever it was called, at the end of Episode 2, with all the stalkers. That was so fucking awesome, I can't even think of words to describe how awesome that experience was. What a game.

Oct 9, 1999
reading these comments regarding ep2 i might just play it. i don't play single player game, at all.

never played but a few levels of hl2(only for a few hours when it came out in 04). never touched ep 1. doubt i even play portal.

tempting..

i LOVED the ravenholm level in hl2 sp(cheated to play it). wish all the levels were of that caliber.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Just got back from NYC, so I picked up OB today...16GB for the installation of all games! wow!

I look forward to getting shot in the face repeatedly in TF2 :p

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: Imp
I've finally installed it and tried out TF2. It is awesome, but did anyone else have trouble connecting to servers? Took me an hour or so messing around with Windows Firewall before finally disabling it. Seems like even with TF2 (nicely named hl2 same as cstrike) on the exceptions list, it's still blocking stuff preventing me from connecting to anything. Now I've gotta turn my firewall off to even connect, which is pissing. They better fix it soon cause all my other stuff, even CS: Source works with the wall on and exceptions enabled.

I did not have any such problems and I have had Windows firewall running the entire time; there must be something else causing it. UT3 on the other hand...

KT

I've got ZA running and had to give permission a few times while installing and during my first play sessions to let it run fine.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Alright, got it installed and Steam is running...however, I can't seem to log into the community pages. Any idea what gives?

Name's "EvilYoda", just like here.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: Imp
I've finally installed it and tried out TF2. It is awesome, but did anyone else have trouble connecting to servers? Took me an hour or so messing around with Windows Firewall before finally disabling it. Seems like even with TF2 (nicely named hl2 same as cstrike) on the exceptions list, it's still blocking stuff preventing me from connecting to anything. Now I've gotta turn my firewall off to even connect, which is pissing. They better fix it soon cause all my other stuff, even CS: Source works with the wall on and exceptions enabled.

I did not have any such problems and I have had Windows firewall running the entire time; there must be something else causing it. UT3 on the other hand...

KT

I've got ZA running and had to give permission a few times while installing and during my first play sessions to let it run fine.

Don't have time today, but I'll try it a few more times when I do. I've removed/readded manually about 5 times and let windows automatically detect it a few times, but still no dice. I can get as far as "refresh list", but once I try to join, it can't connect to any server. Funny thing is that C-strike worked the first time I told it to unblock it. I can still play, but don't want the hassle of enabling/disabling something each time I want to do something.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
tf2 is pissing me off.

one time i go to play i can find servers with low pings (for me anyway) under 100ms. next time i go to play, they are all at least doubled and run in the 140ms or higher.

this has happened ever since i got the game. anyone else experience this?

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
tf2 is pissing me off.

one time i go to play i can find servers with low pings (for me anyway) under 100ms. next time i go to play, they are all at least doubled and run in the 140ms or higher.

Pings have been consistent for me, but I have a very reliable connection (FiOS). Are you sure you don't have anything else using the connection in the background? Could be either something legit (antivirus downloading def. updates, etc...) or malware. Might be worth looking into. If not that, the it just seems your connection may not be consistent... do you have cable?

Teetu

Feb 11, 2005
I played all weekend with no problems, and then I downloaded the steam update either sunday or today and have had all kinds of problems. TF2 kept crashing on me, so I uninstalled steam and all the games- now I can't even install all the games without getting a steam.exe error!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
If you haven't played/passed Portal yet, please make sure you do because it really is an awesome game albeit not too long but it is really fun and the ending makes it all worth while.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SexyK
tf2 is pissing me off.

Pings have been consistent for me, but I have a very reliable connection (FiOS). Are you sure you don't have anything else using the connection in the background? Could be either something legit (antivirus downloading def. updates, etc...) or malware. Might be worth looking into. If not that, the it just seems your connection may not be consistent... do you have cable?

I have DSL. It happens at all random times of the day. Its liek the first time I fire it up that day, its fine and then if i go back, its not.

I don't know what could be causing it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
The launch game button does nothing! :(

That happens with me sometimes also. or the desktop icon doesn't launch the game. I have to totally close steam and launch it again and then the games work.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Sooooooo...

Because I'm such a HL2 nerd, I decided to pick up TOB for the 360 after beating E2/Portal and playing hours and hours of TF2 on my PC.

Why?

Well, I've played through HL2 proper about 6-7 times on my PC over the last 3 years--I just love the experience. I planned on playing through the game, once again, around the time of E2s release. I figured I might as well expereince this on my 46-inch Bravia at 1080P.

Also, admitally, I was curous how all these great games really looked on the 360. I've got to say that I'm thoroughly impressed with how well the conversion went. Graphics are great. Smooth framerate. The controls are much better than I anticipated.

I also figured it would be cool to get achievements for everything as a plus. :p

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Portal was absolutely brilliant and refreshingly original, from concept to execution. The last level and final boss were incredible (you were adopted..lol!), and the ending was so priceless.

If it wasnt so damn short and shallow in some ways I'd give it GOTY. :p

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
how long does it take you guys to load a map for TF2? it seems like it takes a full minute or more to load a map on my pc.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Takes me about a minute to load a map if I connect to a server the first time. If it's just a map change, then about 30 seconds.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
tf2 is pissing me off.

same thing here

started at 60-80ms, then one day they were all 100ms+ .... restart computer, restart router... fixed :)

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Am torn between PC version of 360 version. I only have HL2 and to be honest, I got bored after a few days. I am interested in TF2 tho. I like the ease of just popping the disc and play of the 360, but I have a kickass PC that I can use my trackball and mouse with. Decisions, decisions. Anyone have the 360 version? Any comments? I read most of this thread but got blurry eyed. :)

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Oyeve
Am torn between PC version of 360 version. I only have HL2 and to be honest, I got bored after a few days. I am interested in TF2 tho. I like the ease of just popping the disc and play of the 360, but I have a kickass PC that I can use my trackball and mouse with. Decisions, decisions. Anyone have the 360 version? Any comments? I read most of this thread but got blurry eyed. :)

I've got both--what specifically do you want to know?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar
tf2 is pissing me off.

same thing here

started at 60-80ms, then one day they were all 100ms+ .... restart computer, restart router... fixed :)

well, mine, if i leave the pc on and try again the next day, its back to low pings. then i try again a 2nd time, high pings. it changes by itself.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: warcrow

Well, being a diehard WASD and trackball FPS gamer, does the 360 ver autoaim or something to that effect? I have a hard time playing FPSes with a game controller. Hows the controls for the 360?

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: warcrow

Well, being a diehard WASD and trackball FPS gamer, does the 360 ver autoaim or something to that effect? I have a hard time playing FPSes with a game controller. Hows the controls for the 360?

I hear you. I'm a diehard PC FPS player as well.

I've not officially looked in to this, so I'm speaking from just from experience with the 360 game.

I've never noticed any sort of auto-assist in aiming unless you're in a vehicle. The first time I noticed it was with the waterboat fighting with the chopper. At first, I was a little miffed because I'm kind of against the whole premise. But, after spending a few mins with it, it because clear that it was implimented for a good reason. Shooting from a first person perspective, with a gamepad, moving at high speeds while driving a quickly moving vehicle is not easy. After playing through the coastal levels, I'm now kind of glad that it's there.

I wish they would have implimented an option to turn it off in the Options menu--but it's just not there.

The controls are great. My biggest worry was exactly this subject. It turns out that the button layout is very fitting and the 360 control works pretty well here. Let me see if I can recall the assingments:

left stick - movement (push in = crouch)
right stick - look (push in = zoom)
left trigger - alt fire
right trigger - primary fire
left bumper - run/turbo
right bumper - <not sure>
X - action
B - reload
Y - flash light
A - jump
D-pad - weapon selection

I love it. Seriously, this is a miricle of a game.