Orange Box First Impressions!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Debit Cards don't work for getting games on Steam, and isn't accepted for PayPal.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Noema
Originally posted by: Zenoth
Debit Cards don't work for getting games on Steam

well, i have a business debit card with the mastercharge logo that is a "pure debit" card ... and i can do ANYTHING with it i can do with my other CCs
--except overdraw my account - there is no "credit".

Perhaps it's your bank ... this is pretty new at mine

ANYWAY ... i exited Steam and restarted it and now *everything* is updating: Platform, Portal, Hl2, TFT ... *except* EP2 [it 'tried' for a few seconds and quit] :p

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Debit Cards don't work for getting games on Steam, and isn't accepted for PayPal.

Funny, I bought orange box with mine.

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
if i can't D/L Ep2 because the Servers are too busy now - and for the past 1-1/2 days ... do you think the unlocking is going to go smoothly at the stroke of midnight?
I purchased the Orange Box package yesterday afternoon and had everything downloaded and preloaded by that evening. That's HL2, HL2:EP1, HL2:EP2, HL2:LC, TF2, Portal, Peggle Extreme, plus Garry's mod for the hell of it. Try a different server.

My only concern is EP2's length - EP1 was way too short for $20.

Edit: I use a Visa debit card for purchasing everything, online and retail. It may be dependent upon the type of card but a lot of cards can be processed as debit and/or credit.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: Master Shake
Wasn't peggle extreme only a demo?

Seems like it but damn it was fun

I think I've honestly spent more time playing Peggle Extreme than I have TF2. Partly because it's convenient to play a quick game of Peggle rather than try to find a good TF2 game, but it's still a great time-waster.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Dumac

How ?

The only potentially working method I see is PayPal, but my Debit Card doesn't have an expiration date nor even a security number on its back, like PayPal requests, so at least in my case it just doesn't work at all. Not a big deal anyway, I'll go buy it at the store in a few hours.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Dumac

How ?

The only potentially working method I see is PayPal, but my Debit Card doesn't have an expiration date nor even a security number on its back, like PayPal requests, so at least in my case it just doesn't work at all. Not a big deal anyway, I'll go buy it at the store in a few hours.

Then your definition of a "debit card" is different from everyone else's. Sounds to me like you have a basic ATM card.

A debit card has either the Visa or Mastercard logo and expiration dates, just like a regular credit card and can be used like a regular credit card.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Gotta exit, restart client. Then it will start decrypting your game files.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Balt
Gotta exit, restart client. Then it will start decrypting your game files.

Doing it. Delays! Lawlz @ TF2 updating at 4.0kbps rather than the typical 400kbps.

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
Just played ep2 from 3:11am to 5:40am and am loving it so far. I wont post any spoilers but I will just say: Amazing.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Decided to play some Portals, beat it (the primary campaign) in a bit under 2.5 hours. Fun, but nothing too complicated. Cool game. :)