Optorite 4x DVD±RW for $120 shipped

OrRaCLe128

Oct 3, 2003
LiveWareHouse has the Optorite (Sanyo "mechanism") DD0203 4x dual DVD±RW recorder w/ 8MB buffer (beige, black + $2) for $120 w/ free shipping. The black version is DD0201 (different bezel) and includes Nero software. The drive works well with Nero software.

It features Burn Proof and HD Burn technology which writes 1.4GB onto regular high quality CDR discs. Good review at CDRinfo. Livewarehouse has a good resellerratings score.

annihilator

Nov 23, 1999
You can get an even better deal on this drive (white version only) at PCSupply Source. (reseller ratings) They have it listed as $123.90, but there's a coupon that comes up on Pricewatch that will take off about five bucks. (Search for "optorite DD0203," and the code will come up in the description.) My total came to $118.50 with free Fedex shipping. Best of all, no tax in CA! (It killed the original deal for me, but thanks to the original poster anyway...without him, I wouldn't have found this deal!)

dlaw

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2001
Oh, I just bought this drive for $135 shipped like last week. Great drive, no problem with it.

Souka

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
Good drive, I have the black one.

Only quirk, I couldn't get it to work with DVDxCopy Platnium (version as of last week). Tried everything...ended up making about 10 coasters. (TDK, Memorex, That's discs)

Borrowed a friends Sony Dru510(?) model....swapped it for my optorite....dvds "backup" perfectly.

Not a big deal as I prefer to use Shrink DVD 3 beta 5 to reduce it down to fit on a DVD+R. Then use Nero 6 and burn the disc.

Lars

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: OrRaCLe128
[L=LiveWareHouse]
It features ... HD Burn technology which writes 1.4GB onto regular high quality CDR discs.

CD-Rs that were burned with the HD Burn technology can be read by every CD-ROM?

edit: Just read the review and it looks as if the answer is 'no'.

OrRaCLe128

Oct 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Lars
[L=LiveWareHouse]
It features ... HD Burn technology which writes 1.4GB onto regular high quality CDR discs.

CD-Rs that were burned with the HD Burn technology can be read by every CD-ROM?

edit: Just read the review and it looks as if the answer is 'no'.

It didnt say it could read on every CD-ROM it said the HD Burn technology can write 1.4GB on to the regular high quality CD-R disc.

sync

Dec 20, 2000
I have this burner. I'm currently treating it as a DVD+R/W only drive because of the problems I, and quite a few other people, have with -R media. Hopefully there will be a firmware update in the future that will solve this problem.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: gwlam12
only optorite can read the 1.4gb cd

thank you gwlam12

well...only drives that support the hd burn can read it, so for now, thats only optorite (just clarifying)

Abarth

Oct 10, 1999
problems I, and quite a few other people, have with -R media

sync, I had no problem with DVD-r what so ever but then again I have the DD0201. Check out this thread it might help those with DVD-r problems.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
what is the difference between dd0203 and dd0201? livewarehouse sells dd0201 in both beige and black

fumbduck

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
does this work with DVD X COPY?

can Nero6 do everything you need for DVD burning?

newtotech

Sep 29, 2003
Originally posted by: fumbduck

can Nero6 do everything you need for DVD burning?

Possibly for burning - but not for editing. Tools in Nero 6 are pretty pathetic for editing. Arcsoft Showbiz or Pinnacle Studio is the way to go

iahk

Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Abarth

sync, I had no problem with DVD-r what so ever but then again I have the DD0201. Check out this thread it might help those with DVD-r problems.

Excellent find, Abarth. Thank you much.

Abarth

Oct 10, 1999

So far I have used DVDShrink3/Nero6, DVD X Copy Exp., InstantCopy7, and CloneDVD all works well with the DD0201. Make sure you do a drive update for the software of your choice. Also, update the firmware for the drive.

what is the difference between dd0203 and dd0201?

According to Livewarehouse, they are the same with new face plate, but I have my doubt.

Anyone find a brand of DVD-r that the dd0203 or dd0201 can burn at 4X yet? I have Memorex DVD-R 4x but all the softwares I used can only burn them at 2X speed.

sync

Dec 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Abarth

Thanks. I was aware of that solution. It increases compatibility with DVD-ROMs at the expense of decreasing compatibility with standalone players. That isn't viable for me.

Some people have problems with DVD-R and some don't. I haven't heard a good explanation for this yet.

GetInMyFatBelly

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2000
Anyone seen the new MSI DR4-A DVD burner? I think it's the Sanyo (Optorite DD0201) wiht a different faceplate. Probably with better support?

Diabolus

Banned
Jan 1, 2002
From that CDRInfo review, this doesn't burn Safedisc v2... and that's bad, right?

Maybe I'm not reading something right..

iahk

Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Diabolus
From that CDRInfo review, this doesn't burn Safedisc v2... and that's bad, right?

Maybe I'm not reading something right..

It depends if that's what you're looking for. I'm assuming you know what Safedisc V2 is? It's a copy protection many PC software use now. To make a 1:1 copy of it, the burner needs to be able the extract and burn it.

Not a big deal to me, since I use my DVD burner to do DVD stuff and my CD burner to do CD stuff anyways.

fumbduck

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
i have no idea what Safedisc v2 is.

I dont buy a dvd burner for its CD burner abilities, i buy it to make storage abd backup easier.

Plus this allows for HD Burn, which puts 1.4gb on a CD, so thats a plus.

If someone could elaborate on safedisc v2 I would be grateful.

PRAISETHELORD

Apr 18, 2002
I would stay away from these burners all together.

I had 2 defective out of 3 I ordered... I switched to liteon and everything is fine....