"Optimum" 9mm gun for target practice, concealed + home defense?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: misle
I would buy a CZ P-01. Be sure to try before you buy. Handguns are not one size fits all.

Those are indeed really nice pistols for the money.

As for the OP, I personally think Glocks are awfully thick for concealed carry, even the teeny ones (and I own and like a G17). As for the recoil, 9mm is a relatively gentle round, but you are invariably going to experience more recoil shooting a tiny, lightweight pistol like a G26 that can't absorb much recoil.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Just remember...if it's too big you won't carry it, thus making it useless. I don't see how folks carry something like a Glock 19, how can you even sit down...

Even more so with a white collar job. If you have to tuck your shirt in for work, that's a big disadvantage for an IWB hoslter. If it doesn't fit in my front pocket, I really can't carry it.

Other ones to look at in the small 9mm area are:

Robaugh 9mm (expensive!, but smallest there is)
Kahr PM9
Kel-Tec PF9 (my recommended)
Kel-Tec P11 (a bit larger than the PF9, but more rounds)

I'd suggest getting a stapler or something and trying carrying it around "concealed" to get an idea of what you're in for...

pf9= 7 rounds

might as well buy a .38 special revolver

anything bad about putting an extended clip in a concealable? (ie: Glock 26 w/15 round clip?)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDI
Just remember...if it's too big you won't carry it, thus making it useless. I don't see how folks carry something like a Glock 19, how can you even sit down...

Even more so with a white collar job. If you have to tuck your shirt in for work, that's a big disadvantage for an IWB hoslter. If it doesn't fit in my front pocket, I really can't carry it.

Kahr PM9

I'd suggest getting a stapler or something and trying carrying it around "concealed" to get an idea of what you're in for...

pf9= 7 rounds

anything bad about putting an extended magazine in a concealable? (ie: Glock 26 w/15 round clip?)

Fixed. ;)

Bad? No...but it definitely isn't going to be any easier to conceal.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CadetLee
Originally posted by: JEDI

Kahr PM9

pf9= 7 rounds

anything bad about putting an extended magazine in a concealable? (ie: Glock 26 w/15 round clip?)

Fixed. ;)

Bad? No...but it definitely isn't going to be any easier to conceal.

pretty much. it will just make it bigger and harder to conceal.

Feb 10, 2000
Can I ask why you want to carry in the first place? In general I think it's a stupid idea (especially for someone who isn't really accustomed to being around guns, as you apparently aren't), and it's more likely to create physical danger and bottomless financial liability for you than it is to protect you. I am a gun owner and have been mugged at knifepoint, but I would never, ever want to carry on the city streets.

Actually a few years ago a member of the Glock Talk forum, which I used to frequent, was killed when he tried to intervene in a liquor store robbery - the reality is that the bad guys are almost invariably more willing to pull the trigger than you or I. If you're "lucky" enough to get off the first shot, say hello to nightmares, years of therapy, and spending your life savings on legal bills.

The only time I'd want to carry would be on a backpacking trip or something similar, where the risk comes not from would-be muggers but from animals, rapists, and killers. In that setting I'd carry openly.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DonVito
Can I ask why you want to carry in the first place? In general I think it's a stupid idea (especially for someone who isn't really accustomed to being around guns, as you apparently aren't), and it's more likely to create physical danger and bottomless financial liability for you than it is to protect you. I am a gun owner and have been mugged at knifepoint, but I would never, ever want to carry on the city streets.

Actually a few years ago a member of the Glock Talk forum, which I used to frequent, was killed when he tried to intervene in a liquor store robbery - the reality is that the bad guys are almost invariably more willing to pull the trigger than you or I. If you're "lucky" enough to get off the first shot, say hello to nightmares, years of therapy, and spending your life savings on legal bills.

The only time I'd want to carry would be on a backpacking trip or something similar, where the risk comes not from would-be muggers but from animals, rapists, and killers. In that setting I'd carry openly.

This is where discretion comes in. Ever read the "Armed Citizen" in American Rifleman? :)

You do make a very good point, though -- definitely something that needs to be considered. I do disagree with the "stupid idea" bit, though.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: CadetLee

This is where discretion comes in. Ever read the "Armed Citizen" in American Rifleman? :)

You do make a very good point, though -- definitely something that needs to be considered. I do disagree with the "stupid idea" bit, though.

No, I never have.

"Stupid" may have been too strong a word, but as I said, I don't generally think CC is a great idea. It's been my experience that most people with CC permits are well-meaning but get them for the wrong reasons. Ultimately having a gun enables bad choices, and can and does make decent people stay in dangerous situations too long, or intervene when they should leave things to law enforcement (like the guy I mentioned earlier). Obviously there is a risk (for the overwhelming majority of people, it's infintessimally small) that you will end up needing to defend yourself with deadly force, and be damned glad you have a gun to do so, but IMO I'd rather take that risk than deal with all the negative aspects of carrying a pistol (in addition to all the things I mentioned above, say goodbye to that glass of wine with dinner).

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

And this is what we like to call a "scared victim".

Good job empowering criminals. Yeah, "gun owner", I bet. Airsoft and paintball do not count.

Good day to you.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Specop 007

Good job empowering criminals. Yeah, "gun owner", I bet. Airsoft and paintball do not count.

Good day to you.

Er, unlike most posters I give Don a little more credit.

You know what his occupation is right?

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Specop 007

Good day to you.

Actually I shot Expert with a 9mm in the Air Force, have been armed in a designated combat zone (something I'm quite sure isn't true of you), and have a Glock 17 with 15 +P Speer Gold Dots (storing the magazines fully loaded is hard on the magazine springs) in my nightstand, alongside my Inova X0. I have spent much of my adult life as a criminal litigator, including imprisoning one offender for life.

I guess I don't see how a person with no military experience or legal training, calling himself "Specop 007," has much credibility on this topic, but to each his own I guess.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I'd take the Glock over the Beretta anyday.

Recoil from a 9mm? You should shoot my .44 Magnum...:D

nissan720

Dec 3, 2004
I have a nice Ruger P-95. It has only jammed on me once and that is in the 1500 rounds I have put through it. I think that jam was beacuse the gun was a little dirty after running 300 rounds through it.

The Rugers seem to be very relaible and have very few problems. Take some time with whatever gun you are thinking about and find someplace that will let you throw some rounds through it.