MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hullo lads!

I've been getting EMI from my hard drives and GPU for a long while now, when using my soundcard's analog output. The optical output is nice 'n' clean, which goes straight to my Edirol MA-15D's.

However, my set up is that I use my Edirol's as a sort of DIY stereo subwoofer, with my Studiospares SN10's taking care of the treble. Boy does it sound good, but my amplifier only takes analog input.

What I want to do, is take the optical output, split it in two, with one of the ends going to my MA-15D's, and the other being converted to analog, giving my amp a clean input with no EMI.

Took a look at Amazon, and there are loads of cheap ass, generic £10 Chinese doodads that could do the trick, but I'm not exactly confident in those things being much use. What's a good wee device to convert me optical sound to analog? Budget is around £50 tops; I'd prefer to spend less, but if that's what a quality bit of gear costs, I ain't got no other choice.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Buy this and be done. Thank me later.

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Aye, after reading a bit about the CYP doodads, they seem to be £40 pieces of gear that costs £40. The Modi 2 Uber is pretty expensive, but 'ey, reviews seem to like it.

http://schiit.eu.com/dacs/modi-2-uber

Trick is to split the optical cables on the cheap. The Modi 2 is kinda triple me max budget, after all.

Need ta double my optical outputs, so that my sound card goes to the Modi 2, which goes to my amp, as well as going straight to my Edirols. Better than splitting the RCA from the Modi 2, 'cause adapters 'n' all that are another weakness in the ol' chain.

Ya ken anything decent for that?

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Well on the cheap...hmm maybe a USB dac? No real need to use a toslink cable from PC to dac if the dac can do USB. Another idea is getting a second hand external sound card. Creative have a few models that would work perfect for what you want to do I would think.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Well, I have a wee bit of dosh at my disposal, and that Modi is pretty damn attractive, so I'll probably nab that. Just need ta figure out a way to split my optical output. Reason why I'm going for the Uber, is that I'm not too sure that my equalizer settings 'n' such will get chucked into the audio, as it would if I hook straight into the card's optical out.

And call me stubborn, but I'm fine and dandy with me soundcard right the now. I'll probably be using it until it breaks, because I'll be damned if it doesn't make my metal 'n' games sound legit.

I found this doodad. Since it's optical (digital input), it shouldn't have much in the way of signal degradation, aye? http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv-accessories/cyp/au-d12/cyp-au-d12

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
That should work fine. I use an optical switch myself with zero issues (mine does 5 optical in to 1 out) I don't use it any longer but I used to run a couple of game consoles and other such devices and I would think a splitter would work just as good. It is just digital anyway.

I'm glad you decided on the Modi. It's a nice little unit for sure! Very good quality and solid build.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Aye, it'll be fab to listen to pure, unadulterated metal, without any of that ruddy hard drive 'n' GPU noise wedging itself in.

Did a bit of reading, and the supposed optical splitter is actually a switch; got to read that fine print. So it only takes one input, and you then flip a switch to change which set of speakers gets it. I need both sets of speakers ta take the sound card's output at the same time.

Found this doohickey, but it looks fairly dodgy. Not afraid of paying more for decent quality, so I'm going to continue searching around.