optical out required

harpreetz

Jan 31, 2014
For my htpc project, i have short listed on Gigabyte's GA-B75M-D3H.
This motherboard has an onboard hdmi, which will be used for display. I need a optical out, since my avr only supports optical in at this moment.
Hence need optical out, to output Dolby/Dts 5.1.

looking closely, this motherboard has a spdif header on the board.
can i get optical out using this header by using the following audio bracket

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-12CR1-1SPOUT-03R-RCA-SPDIF-Audio-Bracket-/260743861039

problem looks like the motherboard has only 2pins for spdif, where in, this bracket has 3 pins.

please advise how can i get optical out using this bracket and the motherboard.
If someone has done it , please share your experiences.
Also please advise if there is a better suggestion for getting the optical out connection from this motherboard.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I have no personal knowledge but it says it can if you have windows and run their driver.

May 27, 2008
For my htpc project, i have short listed on Gigabyte's GA-B75M-D3H.
This motherboard has an onboard hdmi, which will be used for display. I need a optical out, since my avr only supports optical in at this moment.
Hence need optical out, to output Dolby/Dts 5.1.

looking closely, this motherboard has a spdif header on the board.
can i get optical out using this header by using the following audio bracket

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-12CR1-1SPOUT-03R-RCA-SPDIF-Audio-Bracket-/260743861039

problem looks like the motherboard has only 2pins for spdif, where in, this bracket has 3 pins.

please advise how can i get optical out using this bracket and the motherboard.
If someone has done it , please share your experiences.
Also please advise if there is a better suggestion for getting the optical out connection from this motherboard.

Optical: No
Coax : Yes

The GA-B75M-D3H is missing the +5v pin that powers the light on the Optical Toslink connector. (Obviously you don't need the light if you are connecting this header to a (older) video card with spdif in.) It's possible you could power the optical connector on a bracket with +5v from a usb header. The coax connector should work fine without the +5v pin, if your receiver has coax.

harpreetz

Jan 31, 2014
Optical: No
Coax : Yes

The GA-B75M-D3H is missing the +5v pin that powers the light on the Optical Toslink connector. (Obviously you don't need the light if you are connecting this header to a (older) video card with spdif in.) It's possible you could power the optical connector on a bracket with +5v from a usb header. The coax connector should work fine without the +5v pin, if your receiver has coax.

thanks, so i will go for this mobo and bracket and use the +5v pin from usb to power up the optical out.hope this will passthrough dolby/dts and will not fry the mobo.

harpreetz

Jan 31, 2014
My current set up,

P4 2.6ghz
Msi motherboard:MSI actualy, Model# .P4MAM2-V
Ram 2gb
HardDisk 60 gb,

Can a htpc be made out of above parts.
My requirements is for media, no gamiing ,no 3d at all.
However, it should have hdmi and optical out.

Looking forward for your valuable advice.

Papa Hogan

Feb 1, 2011
thanks, so i will go for this mobo and bracket and use the +5v pin from usb to power up the optical out.hope this will passthrough dolby/dts and will not fry the mobo.
I bought this Gigabyte motherboard partially because it has optical out. I also put a Pentium 3.0 gHz in it w/ integrated video. I had nothing but problems with the video until I installed a discrete video card. I bought a $10 (AR) HD 5450 and I'm pretty sure it's fixed the issue. Maybe an i3 would have a higher quality IGP?