Opteron A1100 is shipping

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
how is that different than anything you have posted in this thread? You have yet to show any facts but plenty of conjecture.

I have posted nothing but true facts. If I hadn't you should have attacked my posts instead of me.

Why won't AMD release any facts? No industry standard benchmarks, no review systems, no pricing, no reference platform. Nothing but a press release comparing this CPU to an Intel CPU from 2013.

You should read between the lines. Intel's lead continues to get larger. By AMD's own admission it's approaching three years, up from two.

How's this for a fact: Apple, Samsung, TSMC, Qualcomm - all shipping 14nm finfet ARM SOCs. AMD? 28nm planar.

AMD - the new Via. Even Mediatech innovates more.

Edit:
Actually Via is profitable. It's yet to be seen if AMD can pull that off.

Last edited:

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Why won't AMD release any facts? No industry standard benchmarks, no review systems, no pricing, no reference platform. Nothing but a press release comparimg to an Intel CPU from 2013.

You should read between the lines.

so, no facts.

Another member added to the ignore list.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Good for you, let it out. Do you feel better posting that you are putting me on ignore? Is it supposed to have some kind of affect on me? Do you think I feel remorse about it?

I don't.

The less you reply to me the better, actually.

Last edited:

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
how is that different than anything you have posted in this thread? You have yet to show any facts but plenty of conjecture.

I know how badly you want AMD to succeed and how you only believe AMD products are bad when you see multiple sites trashing a given product, but take the AMD had off and get a business hat, Phynaz has a point:

If AMD marketing department released a good product with excellent performance and didn't bother to disclose or leak benchmarks from day 0 they deserve to be fired and never to work again in a product launch. They simply lost a lot of good press for free and didn't generate momentum to their new baby.

Last edited:

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Sorry, but you didn't show anything but supposition.

based on a detailed understanding of known products and known workloads ( i've deployed thousands of applications on F5 hardware). So if its so obvious tell me where i am wrong.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
I know how badly you want AMD to succeed and how you only believe AMD products are bad when you see multiple sites trashing a given product, but take the AMD had off and get a business hat, Phynaz has a point:

If AMD marketing department released a good product with excellent performance and didn't bother to disclose or leak benchmarks from day 0 they deserve to be fired and never to work again in a product launch. They simply lost a lot of good press for free and didn't generate momentum to their new baby.
I didn't say that this project wasn't delayed or has its issues but if you are gonna poopoo it on the verge of trolling without any data to back it up, that adds nothing but noise to the discussion. Why is it bad? Surely not because a poster says so, back up your claims.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
I didn't say that this project wasn't delayed or has its issues but if you are gonna poopoo it on the verge of trolling without any data to back it up, that adds nothing but noise to the discussion. Why is it bad? Surely not because a poster says so, back up your claims.

I think AMD themselves settled this discussion when they compared their new chip with Intel 2013 products and not more recent ones that sell in the same market, and given this data I cannot think why would someone invest time and money to port an application to inferior, expensive hardware.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
I think AMD themselves settled this discussion when they compared their new chip with Intel 2013 products and not more recent ones that sell in the same market, and given this data I cannot think why would someone invest time and money to port an application to inferior, expensive hardware.
Inferior in what way and compared to what products?

Also are you saying at Debian, redhat and co don't know what they are doing? They are the ones porting their software to arm, not amd. I'm also going to assume that these large successful organizations have a well defined strategy for going arm.

Last edited:

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
based on a detailed understanding of known products and known workloads ( i've deployed thousands of applications on F5 hardware). So if its so obvious tell me where i am wrong.

Wouldn't the quad core Xeon be faster than the A1100?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
OK, but in what metric? How would one qualify which is better outside of single threaded workloads?

You think its slower in MT or something? LOL :D

AMD concedes that the Xeon Ds are considerably faster. The company says that Intel's 2013-era Atom-based C2000 series systems-on-chips are a better comparison for these new models.

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Wouldn't the quad core Xeon be faster than the A1100?

It cost more, it consumes more and it also has higher TDP than the A1100.

All the above make TCO higher than A1100, so now TCO is not a metric ??? :rolleyes:

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Xeon D is in a different price range. Avoton and presumably its successor lines are actually in the same price tier.

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Something like a F5 5200 does something 15gbps of L7 full proxy traffic throughput with SSL in hardware with a quad core Xeon. A1100 seems to match that very closely dont you think?

Unless your saying that the vedor with ~50% of the ADC market share doesn't know how to spec its own hardware. So it would seem in terms of web front end throughput its spec'd perfectly.

Xeon D vs A1100 would be interesting to see, sure Xeon D would win, but it is obvious that people aren't accounting for the Crypto workload in their comparisons.

But again Even AMD have said that A1100 is just the first step on the journey and that first step was focused on infrastructure not performance.

I wonder what features the Ethernet controller has on A1100, would be very interesting if it had hardware syn cookies for example. Something that will never show up in benchmarks but usefull in "real life tm".

I dont know if maximum througput is a good measure of how to select the right solution. I think its not, unless you know excactly how your workload is and what it is in 1 year.
In that case yes, there is some specific market for it. But how big is that market?

IMO selecting hardware, software and even employees is about selecting something flexible. It reduces complexity. Like having a full stack developer.

For a more general www solution you want to avoid weak links whereever they might be.

Add the profit is where high quality is guarantied and that is solid ipc cpu, ssd and potent network locally and globally. Skimping on cpu is peanuts and easily brings more hidden cost elsewhere.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It cost more, it consumes more and it also has higher TDP than the A1100.

All the above make TCO higher than A1100, so now TCO is not a metric ??? :rolleyes:

You forgot performance/watt that favours the Xeons and most likely avoton.

So if we look 6 months ahead, how will these A1100 sales been?

Last edited: