Opteron 150 Overclock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: gersson
triple and quadruple posting galore XD

That cooler is NOT sufficient for high OCs. Pee-re-ud

Yea but I can push the Volts to 1.54 and it still stays cool. And with the tests I did below I was able to determine the MAX CPU, I don't see by this test my cooler got in the way.

I was able to put this thing on 1.54 volts and push it to 2.8ghz and it ran 43c idle.

Well I've been all over this thing 14+ hours. I set the RAM at DDR200 so it wouldn't get it in the way, and I put the Multi at 12x FSB 200 so that I could then push the FSB to get the CPU max settings.

I put the Multi low at 8x and the ram at 200 to push the FSB and I got a MAX of 320 for that.

Now the thing is I tested for my MAX ram doing this. I put the RAM on DDR400, and then you'd pick a timing you liked, any, and I did, 2-3-2-5, 2.5-3-2-5, and 3-3-3-7, and the multi at 7x and my HT 4x, and I pushed it until it wouldn't boot, and I found the MAX mhz.

2-3-2-5 (217mhz) 2.5-3-2-5 (240mhz) 3-3-3-7 (240mhz)

NOW when I got this overclocked I left the Divider on 1:1 DDR400 and ran PRIME for the ram on 2.5-3-2-5 (240mhz) and 3-3-3-7 (240mhz)

Again at this point of getting a MAX CPU of 2.7ghz it was on Multi 12x FSB 225

So you SEE my RAM Mhz was then 225 below the MAX since I had it on Divider on 1:1 DDR400, same FSB, same RAM Mhz. :)

And that is how I learned to find MAX CPU and that is around 2.7ghz at 1.5v

Well maybe I just have a CRAP chip or this Abit/Mobo BIOS sucks. I mean I'm not this dense, LOL, and I see now, once you know how to do this it doesn't take 14 hours to do this to find a FSB,RAM, & CPU max settings. Someone with good experience I'd imagine can do this in 3-5 hours.

NOW after running PRIME 6 hrs on the 2.5-3-2-5 it gave me this error:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less then 0.4

Plus when you run PRIME you don't know what your error is, or at least I don't know if it's for CPU or RAM.

Since I never ran PRIME this long on 3-3-3-7 I don't know if it will go past 6 hours of it's going to error too around this point.

NOW this is getting frustrating, spending so long learning how to do some overclocking only to have PRIME error out.

ALOHA

P.S. Just to let you know I ran the overclock too with it at 166mhz/DDR333 = 5:6 and I was still only able to get the same MAX CPU, but I haven't just tried leaving it at this divider and running PRIME on it, which I can get 2-3-2-5 on the timings.