Opinions on the LG 29UM67P ?

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I've heard it listed as the 29UM67P and the 29UM67 (no P). My son recently upgraded from a 2GB 7870 to a R380 and now is going from a HP ZR24w (1980x1200 IPS) to a LG 29UM67 monitor. I wanted to research it ASAP, because it went on sale recently and we just ordered one on Back order (can still cancel before it ships).

What do you guys think? He really likes the idea of Ultra Wide for his gaming. He also likes the idea of it going up to 75Hz. At $260 it seems a lot more reasonable than the $450 that MicroCenter is still charging for it. Don't get me wrong, I spent $450 on my ZR24w and so did he and neither of us regretted spending good money on a good product. FWIW: He games a lot and wants to be able to open up his FOV. He also likes the idea of not getting microstutter(?) when his frame rate exceeds that of his monitor.

Thanks in advance for any helpful (or even funny) replies.

EDIT: It seems that the $40 off coupon has expired:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025112&cm_re=29UM67P-_-24-025-112-_-Product

Last edited:

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
Pros and cons.

From my own experience, I wasn't happy with the size of the 29" - in particular the physical vertical height. I opted for a larger, standard 16x9 ratio display for the simple reason that they are half the price of larger (34") 21x9 displays and have the same horizontal width, but more vertical height and resolution.

Likewise, the aspect ratio introduces a lot of issues with games that don't properly support the resolution. While you can set almost any game to 2560x1080, many games have a fixed FOV, so they end up cutting off the image at the top and bottom. If you (or your son) like to tweak stuff, then you can usually compensate for this with config files or hacks - there's tons of information available on the Widescreen Gaming Forum. Some things, like HUDs, can not be corrected. As long as you're aware of the potential pitfalls, and are willing to work around them, you can really get a lot out of it.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Thanks for the reply. He is much more aware of the pros and cons of that monitor than I am. I brought up the points you made and he was aware of most everything and is comfortable with the purchase. While Newegg hasn't shipped yet, I feel more comfortable about not having to cancel the order. Thanks for the information which, after a discussion with my son, gave me peace of mind.