Opinions on SIS Chipset motherboards?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JediJeb

Jul 20, 2001
Sorry it took me so long to reply. So far my new L7S7A2 is running great! No problems and seems to be rock stable. Only problem I am having is getting MotherBoard Monitor to read the temps and voltages, but that is probably because it is a fairly new board. Everything else is great.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: JediJeb
Sorry it took me so long to reply. So far my new L7S7A2 is running great! No problems and seems to be rock stable. Only problem I am having is getting MotherBoard Monitor to read the temps and voltages, but that is probably because it is a fairly new board. Everything else is great.

That'll have something to do with it, however, the K7S5A had some special issues w/ MBM as well, so ECS can also be to blame :).

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I've owned three SiS based P4 boards (a 645, 645dx, and now a 655), so I'll just speak to what I know about those.

My opinion of all of them is pretty much the same.
  • Cheap.
  • A bit underwhelming in performance.
  • Stability is pretty good, for the most part. But they always seem to have one or two nagging issues. Not mission critical, just annoying.
  • Better than Via.
  • Not quite in the same league as Intel.
  • Cheap.
With the exception of cost, there's no advantage to getting a SiS board over an Intel board, but there are a few disadvantages.

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
I had issues w/ 2 losing the cmos on occasion (solved by replaceing the cmos battery on one and hooking the other up to a UPS got rid of it's issues

Arcanedeath: FYI the issue you've described is a known glitch which was fixed with a BIOS upgrade. (Read More Here)

For the record - I've set up over a dozen K7S5A and K7S5A Pro boxes over the past year, and they've all been fast and stable. Rock solid boards at a rock-bottom price.

WyteWatt

Banned
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: gsaldivar
I had issues w/ 2 losing the cmos on occasion (solved by replaceing the cmos battery on one and hooking the other up to a UPS got rid of it's issues

imtim83: FYI the issue you've described is a known glitch which was fixed with a BIOS upgrade. (Read More Here)

For the record - I've set up over a dozen K7S5A and K7S5A Pro boxes over the past year, and they've all been fast and stable. Rock solid boards at a rock-bottom price.

gsaldivar huh i didn't say that? Heres the proof too that i didn't say that. Confused.

Originally posted by: Arcanedeath
ECS K7S5A (Sis 735), I've had or installed 7 of them, I had issues w/ 2 losing the cmos on occasion (solved by replaceing the cmos battery on one and hooking the other up to a UPS got rid of it's issues), but otherwise, very stable and extremly good price performace for the time I got em + 2 of them are using some of my old SDR memory so it saved that stuff from the junk heap. Not really an overclockers board, but they make great office machines and all 7 of them are still in service today, and the first one was purchased back in 2001. I did have 1 of these DOA, and had to RMA it, but it's replacment has worked fine for just under 2 years so far. I'm very fond of this board, although at this point its a bit of a dated soln. Although I hear good things about Sis 746FX chipsets. Hope this helps.... :)