Opinions on DeVry University?

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
A friend of mine is thinking about finishing up school at DeVry (already completed 2 years of community college). Personally I've been under the impression that DeVry is a very "second rate" school and for an "alternate" degree program, the University of Phoenix is much better.

Does anyone have experience/opinions about DeVry they'd like to share?

--> Edit: This will be for a BUSINESS degree, not tech. And any suggestions for a "working person's" school would be welcome.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
I remember someone posting a horror story about DeVry on Anandtech a while ago. I forgot where it was or what the search parameters were, but from what i read in that article, OMG...

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I wouldn't really consider DeVry a university... heck, i wouldn't even consider them a community college. They're crap.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
I wouldn't really consider DeVry a university... heck, i wouldn't even consider them a community college. They're crap.

Thanks. Would you care to explain why?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: amnesiac

Can't really... except i don't think anybody really takes DeVry seriously.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002

Amnesiac, try to find that article on DeVry a someone posted in this forum earlier. It is a personal account of what happened.

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001

rolleye.gif

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
ive only heard horror stories about people spending way too much money to go there and being laughed at by employers.

this is in canada though and devry is a considered a private post secondary school, not a college or university so ymmv

I know someone who went for a "tri-mester" (they don't have real semesters). It really sucks. The computers are out of date, the curriculum is crippled, and it's not considered a real college by employers even though it's accredited.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Spac3d

rolleye.gif

Why the eyes? Name me a company that takes them seriously.

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
I don't know whether Devry is good or not, but my ex QA manager went there. He still hasn't graduated and technicially wise is just bullsh#tter. He alway spewing nonsense etc...It could be just him though.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Regardless of how it stands academically, Devry carries a definite stigma of being a third-rate last-chance college. If your friend is looking to get hired into a company once he graduates he may be better off just about anywhere else.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I was a recruiter for a while in the tech industry and someone who lists a degree from DeVry isn't taken very seriously.

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Hatari Chic
I was a recruiter for a while in the tech industry and someone who lists a degree from DeVry isn't taken very seriously.

Just curious, any reasons why? I'm biasis cause I detest my former QA Manager who goes there.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000

This in the end is what matters. Not curriculum, not credit hours, not cost, not graduating salary. If employers don't take your degree/school seriously than you are wasting your time even if you learn more than someone else in the same program at another competing school.

Unless of course you don't care about employment. :)

You're better off just going to a small or community college. What sounds worse, Devry which is a national joke or some small college nobody heard of.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: newbiepcuser

Just curious, any reasons why? I'm biasis cause I detest my former QA Manager who goes there.

A degree from DeVry indicates that you wanted to take the "easy" route to having your degree, or that you couldn't cut it in a "real" university. I think the level of education is inferior, and the industry standard supports that.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
DeVry was actually an insult when i was going up. "You're going to DeVry." "haha he's going to end up at DeVry." etc

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Interestingly enough though two of my managers in different companies have graduated from DeVry back in the day and are making mucho dinero and this guys know their stuff, and we arent talking about rinky dink companies either.

manager 1 had 20 people under him manager 2 had 40+ peopel under him ...a whole department..

so who knows

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
Interestingly enough though two of my managers in different companies have graduated from DeVry back in the day and are making mucho dinero and this guys know their stuff, and we arent talking about rinky dink companies either.

manager 1 had 20 people under him manager 2 had 40+ peopel under him ...a whole department..

so who knows

experience counts for more than anything else. they probably learned most of what they know elsewhere. they were lucky to get hired that first time though

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: PipBoy
are they accredited?
Some of their campuses are accredited, some aren't. You really can't generalize the entire institution, you have to be specific about the campus and degree.

Reason being, many of DeVry's campuses were not always DeVry campuses. DeVry has bought-out many trade and technical colleges. Some of these schools actually had good programs and are still reputable today.

The cost of even their reputable accredited programs, however, are a little pricey compared with other colleges and universities who have even better reputations.

IOW, there are better schools for the same money and they're admissions aren't even all that much more selective.

At any rate, you can find Devry grads working at Fortune 500 and 1000 companies and no not in the mail rooms.

Its easy to ask "what companies take Devry seriously" when one hasn't even shown that any companies do not take Devry seriously. Two or three anecdotal stories of some goof-offs who couldn't get hired after graduating from Devry, probably because they walked-in to their interviews sporting nose rings and mohawks, do not exactly carry a lot of weight.

There are at least a few thousand people who graduate from DeVry every year, if any substantial number of those graduates couldn't find jobs in their respective fields and instead were working as cashiers at Safeway or Starbucks, we'd be hearing a lot more grumbling and complaining than just a couple anecdotal 'internet' stories.