Question OpenWrt and/or Win 7 username/password issues

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
That's the best way to summarize the problem.
The Media Player is a Zidoo x10 that uses OpenWrt for the interface for the LAN, (not WAN from what I understand from others). I can access the HDD on the X10 from a Win 7 PC, but I can't login due to a username and/or password issue.
I can access the Win 7 PC from the X10 with absolutely NO username/password issue using 'X-plore' (Android Explorer type program).
Based on M$'s typical lame error messages which usually are wrong/don't tell you anything, I think it's a O/S-Network issue but I don't know what or where.
The PW & username is correct that I assigned to OpenWRT and I don't believe there was/is any other username/password assigned to the box itself.

Note; I can access up to the HDD name in the x10 'sda1'.

Any ideas here from any Windows Networking experts?

Network Zidoo share password needed-vert.png

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Try setting 'use simple file sharing' on in the windows system file settings. This is the same problem that win9x systems run into when trying to connect to win7 and higher so I'm guessing it's a 'version' of login that's the issue.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Long story short; there were multiple (duplicate) Samba directory entries of the same HDD which apparently caused the lamo M$ inaccurate error messages that had absolutely nothing to do with logins! :mad: :mad:

I deleted all entries in the Samba directory, rebooted, the single HDD showed and all is well. No username/password was needed in a home LAN setup, which it shouldn't be.

Instead of M$ coming out with more bloated O/S's, how about them fixing what they already had? The list is endless. :rolleyes:

Reactions: SamirD

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Awesome. Glad you fixed it. And thank your for posting the solution. :)

Software is a buggy business and full of bugs and the demand for software to be made faster is making it even more buggy. If hardware was designed this way, it wouldn't work, but for some reason software is accepted this way because it can be 'fixed' even though it never is.

Solution? Design everything in hardware only. :D Solid state ftw!

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
The problem was a very poor dialog box popup pointing one to something it wasn't. Typical of M$.
Wording is key, not a exact message, but something as; unable to make connection, unable to access, or in this case unable to find. Generic, but accurate and NOT misleading sending the user on a wild goose chase.