Discussion Open request for a mining subforum

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Mods- could we please get a mining subforum to shove all that non-graphics related chat in? It's kind of taking over.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I kinda think that it could all fit in either GPUs, OT, or DC. I understand where you are coming from, but on the other hand we have so many sub-forums already.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I kinda think that it could all fit in either GPUs, OT, or DC. I understand where you are coming from, but on the other hand we have so many sub-forums already.

By subforum, I mean the kind that we already have for Nvidia and AMD- I guess that's a subsubforum?

Reactions: The Alias

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Meh, I don't think there is enough mining discussion to warrant a whole sub-forum. Practically all of the mining discussion is contained to the ETH mining thread. Yes, occasionally it spills out into the other threads, but only because people are lamenting on the lack of video card availability and having dedicated mining sub-forum won't help that.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Meh, I don't think there is enough mining discussion to warrant a whole sub-forum. Practically all of the mining discussion is contained to the ETH mining thread. Yes, occasionally it spills out into the other threads, but only because people are lamenting on the lack of video card availability and having dedicated mining sub-forum won't help that.

- Agreed. It just feels like we need a mining sub forum because of how much mining is directly affecting GPU availability for gamers right now, otherwise it would likely be a handful of folks on this forum actively engaging and talking about it.

I mean, I don't fundamentally see the harm, its not like there is scarcity in the number of forums that can be opened. I just don't think the subforum would be as active as we think it would be simply due to circumstances.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
- Agreed. It just feels like we need a mining sub forum because of how much mining is directly affecting GPU availability for gamers right now, otherwise it would likely be a handful of folks on this forum actively engaging and talking about it.

I mean, I don't fundamentally see the harm, its not like there is scarcity in the number of forums that can be opened. I just don't think the subforum would be as active as we think it would be simply due to circumstances.
Actually I do see harm in splitting out into too many subforums. Take a look into nVidia and AMD subforums and check "Last Reply" timestamps, there is barely any activity there. This forum is kind of dying. Splitting into too many subforums is only going to fragment people and lower overall participation rate even more. I'd rather do the opposite and merge AMD/Nvidia subforums back into one. It may have made sense in the past when we had much more participation and when AMD/Nvidia hacks were at each other's throats all the time, but things change, and right now I'd rather have just a single Video Card forum for all the remaining folks still hanging out here.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Wouldn't mining and distributed computing fall in the same category?

In essence it's sort of the same thing no?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wouldn't mining and distributed computing fall in the same category?

In essence it's sort of the same thing no?
That's what I was thinking. They also could fall under OT, GPUs, and CPUs in some cases. I guess the point is we have enough places here it could fit?

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
This feels like more "Send the miners away" sentiment. It sucks to be honest. I don't think mining topics should be split off, because we really only talk about graphics card availability and how miners destroy it for the gamers. We've had a folding@home thread that Noone ever suggested being sent to DC. And the op has been here long enough to remember it. This isn't just the graphics forum. It's Video cards too.

Reactions: Mopetar and aleader